Why do I lie about such stupid things?

I lie. A lot. Not about big things, or even medium things, but just little things that I don't even need to lie about! For example, my friend asked if I ever watched basketball on TV the other day and I said "no, watching sports on TV isn't very entertaining," even though I watch basketball all of the time, and she wouldn't have cared if I did or not... Why would I do this, and how do I stop!! (anyone else do this?)

Update:

lol treebird~ that could work out nicely... my friends might start to think I am in the CIA, but it still could work... ;) John L~ so sorry about your ex wife~ hope your next one isn't a crazy lier-for-no-reason-er. You may not want to look on this thread if you are looking for a new one...

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

hmm what are the roots for compulsive lying again? Insecurity seems like a good place to start. Compulsive lying is actually a symptom or at least comorbid with a variety of conditions but for most people it's just a bad habit that they've learned to try and fit in; because you lack confidence in the truth of your life you automatically resort to lying about them because the opposite of wrong must be right.

It's almost impossible for most people to remember the first time they lied, although their mother might remember their first big one, but try and trace back your lies and the situations and see if you can determine any kind of reasoning or pattern. If there is absolutely none then you are a true compulsive liar and you could be anything from narcissistic to autistic to psychotic.

In either case, barring dementia, the solution is going to be correcting yourself every time you lie until you break yourself of the habit. Don't text your friend that you lied to her about liking basketball, but the next time you lie about something trivial say "I don't know why I answered that way since [blank]". Or otherwise try to play it off like "oh sorry I confused myself I meant to say [whatever]".

I kind of wish that more compulsive liars recognized that about themselves and strove to change it so I applaud you for doing so. Just don't be too down on yourself about it.

• 4 years ago

There is no such thing as a Little Lie It either is a Lie Or Not Only 1 size a Lie

• 1 decade ago

I do this all the time too. I've become the best liar I know, but it's not exactly something I brag about. Coming into the knew year I realized how stupid I was for lying about the most trivial garbage. I just had to start thinking more before I said things, and being more confident in my answers. Sometimes I lie about little things, simply because I know I can get away with it..it's weird, but very normal.

• 1 decade ago

Because you wish to conceal the truth from others. You will stop if you want to let people know the real you. Lying to your friend (?) about your interest in watching basketball on TV is a sign that you don't want your friend to really know you. I'd guess that you want to keep things secret.

But you know, you don't really need to lie to do that. You can just refuse to tell people things.

Friend: "Do you ever watch basketball on TV?"

You: "That's classified information and is only available to those with a sufficiently high clearance AND a need to know. You don't need to know."

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

This is a weird behaviour,however so many of us suffer from it. The only way out is to be strong-willed.Punish yourself in a small manner each time.Deny yourself a chocolate or any of your fav food,your favourite tv show,an outing with friends,etc every time you lie for unnecessary things. Tell yourself tht this is the punishment you get for being a liar. And stick to your decision. Slowly,but surely,you will stop lying in order to gain access to these activities.It works,I tell you. But as I told before,you have to have strong will-power in order to get through.

• 1 decade ago

it is possible that you want to be abnormal a lie like that is silly and an answer like that would definitely cause a memory and future conversations with others/example did you know christy has never watched basketball? Do you want to seem mysterious? when you get caught enough in lies you will stop naturally because as you get older you will want people to value your opinion. you don't want to be like someone i know who lies so much about everything he is now 57 and single his girl of8 years finally dumped him . we don't think much of him because the only truth we think he tells is AND,THE etc...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You sound like a compolisive lier,no it aint a dease,it's easily fixed by thinking before you say.Also think about deep reasons why you would do this? do you feel embarssed when your with your friends,like your not good enough,so u feel the need to lie,and now it became a regular thing.If so have a chat with her,or think before you say.

Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Here you go...it might stem from some underlying problem such as fear or someting which you can find some help for...doesn't mean you're a bad person.

Compulsive Lying: Overview

There are a number of reasons that people lie. The first is fear. This is the most common reason that people may lie, and they are taking shelter from a perceived punishment. It may be because they know they have done something wrong a single time, in which case it is not compulsive lying. But if they are always in fear of being punished, it may become a habit, which is a second reason for lying. In this case, it may become compulsive lying, which is lying by reflex. Even when confronted by the truth, they insist the lie is the truth in this case. A third case is learning to lie through modeling. When a people see others lie, especially when they get away with it, they may become more prone to lying. Finally, people lie because they feel if they tell the truth they won't get what they want. Thus, out of the main reasons for lying, only lying by habit can truly be called "compulsive lying."

Increased lying has been seen with a number of psychiatric diagnoses such as ADHD and Bipolar Disorder. With ADHD people will often say "I don't know why I did that", and when confronted about why they lied, their answer will be the same. ADHD children also display impulsivity, and they may lie implusively. Bipolar Disorder can be associated with low serotonin levels, which has been implicated in impulsivity, which, as indicated before, makes a person more prone to lie.

Pathological lying, though, can be thought of as being associated with a select few psychiatric diagnoses, which normally have their onset during adolescence. Namely, these are Conduct Disorder and Antisocial Personality Disorder. In conduct disorder, it is common to seelying, conning people and other forms of deceit. In Antisocial Personality Disorder, there is a pervasive pattern of disregard or the rights of others, and with this, the person with this disorder will often lie to get what they wish – usually money, sex or power.

© 2001-2007 Derek Wood. All Rights Reserved.

This article is used with the full permission of the author.

Understanding Compulsive Liars

If you have ever told a lie, you know the how difficult it can be and the guilt you feel. Your conscience tries to talk you out of it, but sometimes you just can't help it. However, some people have more difficulty telling the truth than telling a lie, and conscience does not play a role since they have learned how to ignore it. Compulsive liars do not think about telling a lie because they have done it so much that it has become a habit or an addiction.

Many liars seek the thrill of pulling one over on someone. These people try to see how far they can get with their lies, and they love the reaction they get from people. If someone comes up to a compulsive liar and tries to disagree or prove the person wrong, the liar will stand behind the lie and never admit it. This denial is the reason why it can be hard to treat someone that lies compulsively

Possible Treatment for Compulsive Lying

[edit]When Lying is a Secondary Symptom

Many people that lie compulsively often have another psychiatric illness that makes them feel as though it's okay to lie. People with mental illness will not tell the truth if they fear people will criticize them or get on their case for not following up on appointments or taking medication. Some people with personality disorders are compulsive liars because they seek to manipulate people to get what they want from them.

Treatment for people with a psychiatric illness involves a combination of medication and counseling. Medication will help decrease symptoms while counseling helps the person manage symptoms medication will not help. A counselor will attempt to teach the person how a lie negatively affects his or her own life as well as the life of people around that person. The counselor will also attempt to break the habit of lying through role-playing.

[edit]Treatment for People Without Psychiatric Illness

Not all compulsive liars have an underlying mental illness; some people lie to get ahead, to make themselves look better or just to evoke an elaborate reaction. Treatment involves the person seeing a counselor to discuss the reasons behind the fibs, role-playing to practice telling the truth, and then homework assignments to try outside of therapy. Homework assignments may consist of having to resist the urge to fib a certain number of times in a week, and then reporting to the therapist how he or she did. With practice, the person may be able to break the addiction of telling lies.

[edit]Treatment Must Be Voluntary

If you think someone you know lies compulsively, you can discuss the possibility of counseling. Chances are high that the person will deny it and refuse treatment. If the person decides to go to therapy, but does not believe he or she has a problem, treatment is most likely not effective. Since behavior modification is the main treatment method, the lying will most likely not stop if the person is not willing to change his or her behavior. These people will usually end therapy out of frustration or lie to the therapist about how well they are doing in and out of the office.

[edit]How to Help Someone

Since you can't force someone into treatment for compulsive lying, it can be difficult to deal with that person. Either you can humor the person by just listening and not putting much faith in what he or she says, or avoid the person entirely. Many people who have trouble telling the truth will do it for the reaction; if you don't give them a reaction, they will most likely not embellish the truth as much. However, the problem is that your relationship is probably already on the rocks by this point, and you never know what is really true or false.

Retrieved from "http://addiction.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Treatment_for...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 1 decade ago

just try to be more interested in talking to someone.I seems that you probably were not interested in the question and wanted to get rid of it so u said sometyhing which probably ended the question.If u would have said yes then perhaps she wud have asked you sumthing bout basketball and the conversation wud hav continued

• 1 decade ago

Just try to be honest with your friend.. always think twice before you answer to any question .. this is a very good habit as it kind of increases your maturity and also makes your answer appealing and accurate...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.