Why do I lie about such stupid things?

I lie. A lot. Not about big things, or even medium things, but just little things that I don't even need to lie about! For example, my friend asked if I ever watched basketball on TV the other day and I said "no, watching sports on TV isn't very entertaining," even though I watch basketball all of... show more I lie. A lot. Not about big things, or even medium things, but just little things that I don't even need to lie about! For example, my friend asked if I ever watched basketball on TV the other day and I said "no, watching sports on TV isn't very entertaining," even though I watch basketball all of the time, and she wouldn't have cared if I did or not... Why would I do this, and how do I stop!! (anyone else do this?)
Update: lol treebird~ that could work out nicely... my friends might start to think I am in the CIA, but it still could work... ;) John L~ so sorry about your ex wife~ hope your next one isn't a crazy lier-for-no-reason-er. You may not want to look on this thread if you are looking for a new one...