Theists - What is your favorite quote from an atheist, whether it pertains to religion or not?

There's more to atheists than non-belief. Some of the most notable have written and said many other things regarding all the myriad facets of life. Look up a notable atheist or two on Wikiquote, and find something you agree with.

Oh, and pantheists, deists, and agnostics count as well.

Bastion - My avatar is of the late great Sigmund Freud, who is the source of one of my personal favorite quotes: "Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar." Always helps to remind me to simplify, and make everything easier.

Favorite Answer

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value."

Source(s): Albert Einstein (pantheist)
  • Link

I like a lot of quotes by Atheists...Bertrand Russell has a lot of good ones. My favorite has to be his 10 commandments:

1. Do not feel absolutely certain of anything.

2. Do not think it worthwhile to proceed by concealing evidence, for the evidence is sure to come to light.

3. Never try to discourage thinking for you are sure to succeed.

4. When you meet opposition, even if it should come from your husband, wife or children, endeavor to overcome it by argument and not by authority- for victory dependent upon authority is unreal and illusory.

5. Have no respect for the authority of others, for there are contrary authorities to be found.

6. Do not use power to suppress opinion you think pernicious, for if you do the opinions will suppress you.

7. Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.

8. Find more pleasure in intelligent dissent than in passive agreement, for, if you value intelligence, as you should, the former implies a deeper argument than the latter.

9. Be scrupulously truthful, even if the truth is inconvenient, for it is more inconvenient when you try to conceal it.

10. Do not feel envious of the happiness of those who live in a fool's paradise, for only a fool will think that it is happiness."

- Bertrand Russell

Arggh! I can't find the exact quote, I think it is Nietzsche; Every time I meet a religious man, I have the urge to wash my hands.

Now, I can't say that I agree completely, but in many cases I do (sometimes I check to make sure I still have my watch and wallet).

• relles

Boy, those conservatives are truly some thing, are not they? they are all in choose of the unborn. they'll do something for the unborn. yet as quickly as you're born, you're on your individual. professional-existence conservatives are enthusiastic proper to the fetus from concept to 9 months. After that, they do no longer elect to renowned approximately you. they do no longer elect to pay attention from you. No no longer something. No neonatal care, no day care, no head commence, no college lunch, no nutrition stamps, no welfare, no no longer something. once you're preborn, you're large; once you're preschool, you're f*cked. -George Carlin

" Can you imagine anything more boring? The boredom attached to intelligent design is supreme, its so boring i cant even be bothered to think about it anymore, Its just utterly boring." Dr. Provine

You can see this is Expelled: No Intelligence allowed.

I'll go with Mark Twain.. he's deist, but I suppose that'll have to do:

"After all these years, I see that I was mistaken about Eve in the beginning; it is better to live outside the Garden with her than inside it without her."

--Adam's Diary

Source(s): I picked it cause it's interesting

The fact that a believer is happier than a sceptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.

- George Bernard Shaw

So true!

Russian Proverb: Pray to God, fine; but keep rowing to shore.

Theists think all gods but theirs are false. Atheists simply don't make an exception for the last one.

You'll have to pick one for me. I can't think of any quotes by atheist, but your avatar looks trust worthy. I'll go with whatever you choose.