How long do you have to wait to report a sexual crime against child?

Hello

I am a struggling mom, but I will cut to the chase, my ex and I have been seperated for almost 7 yrs now and we split our children thru out the week and weekends. Him and I have always have problems communicating with each other with out fighting my daughter use to adore her dad,but up tp 3 yrs ago everything changed and its like she can't stand him always not wanting to be with him. I always thought the worst and one time i did question her about it me being a victim as a child my self, but she said no at the time. Just two days ago my daughter confess to me of an incident that happend 3yrs ago about her dad touching her genital area while she was in bed and he laid next to her and did what he did.She was scared and feeling ashamed, but just recently she felt ready to tell me and she did tell me that it only happend one time.My question is it to late to report it?

• Erica
    Favorite Answer

I don't think so...That would definitely play a role in who gets custody. I'm not sure whether it is too late to press charges or not...but it's never too late to have her tell her story to a lawyer and get it put into a Affidavit...then the lawyer shows the Affidavit to a judge and he may change the custody situation...I know because I had a similar experience with my sister's husband when I was a kid...it was like 10 years ago, but I told the lawyer about it and he lost custody of my nieces because of what he did. I never looked into pressing charges though.

Many states have NO statute of limitations on sex crimes against children...you can report it decades later if you like..

The problem is that, the more time passes, the more difficult it is to prosecute. Because of the nature of these crimes, they often come down to "he said, she said" with a great deal of emotional burden placed on the victim. As emotionally charged as these cases are, prosecutors will still weigh them as to whether the case can be won or not.

The crime should be reported as soon as possible so that the victim can re-tell the story in a consistent manner. The main thing is that the victim must be assured that there is NO shame in it for her. The more she is able to understand that she has no reason to be ashamed or afraid, the more likely she will feel free to tell an accurate and consistent story.

You can report it up to the age of 18, and depending upon which state you live in, you can go beyond that. For example, I live in Massachusetts. A crime like this can be reported beyond the age of 18, up to 15 years. So, that means, you can report it up to the age of 33. Quite a long time. However, the longer you wait, the harder it is to prove your case. I can tell from the way you are asking, she is still a child, you can and should, report it now.

• Bill

It's not too late. The statute of limitations is typically longer than 3 years for most crimes. And when a crime against a child is involved, the statutary time limit is usually tolled until such time as the child is able to report the incident.

No it is not too late. You need to contact Children Services. Do not ask her anymore about it and try not to have her talk anymore about it until she talks with them or they will say you could have coached her. Call them right away and start a case. If they make it a founded report he will not be allowed to be around children alone. So, call them right away. It is not uncommon for children to not be able to talk to there parents about it as they are children and think they will get in trouble. They have several emotions running through there heads. You can contact me through email for any additional help on this. Good luck to you and I would also go back to court with this and stop all visitation.

Never too late, keep this from happening to someone else. If an incident is on record, it will be easier to convict if something else were to happen.

No, it is not. Report him now. Do not force your daughter to see him any longer.

• You need to report this ASAP.

Why the heck would you wait????????

Report this ASAP!