What type of people are affected by Rheumatoid Arthritis?

What people are affected by Rheumatoid arthritis. Like wht king of group? (african americans, whites, eastern) Can you please help me? This goes to an project and i searched and searched everywhere and i couldnt find the answer =( also do you knw the number of people that are affected by this? Like how many people in the world are suffering with this joint inflammation?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Quoted from the NIH website's handout on RA:

"Scientists estimate that about 1.3 million people, or about 0.6 percent of the U.S. adult population, have rheumatoid arthritis. Interestingly, some recent studies have suggested that although the number of new cases of rheumatoid arthritis for older people is increasing, the overall number of new cases may actually be going down. Rheumatoid arthritis occurs in all races and ethnic groups. Although the disease often begins in middle age and occurs with increased frequency in older people, children and young adults also develop it. Like some other forms of arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis occurs much more frequently in women than in men. About two to three times as many women as men have the disease."

The juvenile form of RA is more common in Caucasian children, however.

Hope that helps.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.