How do you feel about euthanasia? and do you think it has an impact on our culture?

Euthanasia is basically the assisted suicide of a human being.

Favorite Answer

I feel that physician assisted suicide has a place. There are people that are terminally ill and will never get better and they are only waiting to die. Someone has to do everything for them- get their groceries, make their meals, clean up after them. I personally can't imagine having a loved one go through that and knowing that my final memories of them will be of them not being able to care for themselves. Especially when that period of time can go on for months. It's hard enough having someone die in a hospital after being there for a day or two hooked up to tubes, but there was something before that. To be in a similar state for weeks or even months....

I know people that have switched from human medicine to animal medicine because at least animals can be put out of their misery and not have to suffer any more.

Physician assisted suicide does have an impact because we're currently in a state of mind where it is morally and ethically wrong to put a person to sleep the way you would an animal. Perhaps it's because some view suicide as a sin. Perhaps it's because people that no longer want to take of an animal have it put it down, so if you no longer want to take care of someone could you put them down as well? Maybe it's because humans are not animals like cats and dogs and euthanasia is treatment reserved for "animals". Maybe it's because there's this fear that euthanasia will not be reserved for the terminally ill who will only continue to get worse but that the emotionally depressed will seek it for themselves. Perhaps it's a combination of all of these. But whether physician assisted suicide is condemned or condoned it will say something about how we as a culture view humanity and the worth of an individual's like, no matter what condition they're living in.

I did a research paper on euthanasia when i was a freshman in college. I think if you are deathly ill and there is no cure in sight, you should have the right to end your life. but I think the person should be checked out by a doctor first to make sure they won't get better, b/c people who are suicidal and are not ill will take advantage of it

Euthanasia is completely fine. I think that if someone is in a lot of pain and they can't end it themselves, they should be able to ask for help without having to worry about that person getting in trouble.

I'm OK with it. Of course it must not be done under any kind of pressure! But with proper safeguards it can be a proper and rational choice to die at a time of one's choosing and before one has a lengthy painful illness or causes one's family huge distress and trouble. But then I'm 74 and not so far from it as most of you!

If we can put pets to sleep without their permission to do so, why can't we do the same for human beings who wish to end their suffering?

Or for that matter, anyone who wants to die? None of us can choose when or if we're brought into this world, we should all have the right to choose when or how we leave it.

Source(s): Just my opinion, wouldn't expect anyone to agree or share it.
  • KRI$

i think its ok. if that is what the person wants. at least it cant they can go easier, thank if they do something more dramatic themselves to commit suicide. like shoot themselves in the heard or something.

I am for it. If I were in that situation and was suffering, I would want someone to step in and stop the pain, wouldn't you?