Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceAnthropology · 1 decade ago

United States ancestry question :D?

The United States of America is made up of people of different cultures and ethnicities. Here are a few examples( German, Irish, African ,American, English, American, Mexican, Italian, Polish).

I don't really get what do you mean by having an ancestry of American.

Isn't English already American? :D

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Being American is a cultural designation. The American culture is a very diverse culture influenced by all of the various cultures involved and homogenized over the years. (Interestingly, the English were resistant to assimilation when compared to say, the Scotch-Irish or German immigrants.) While I can trace one branch of my family tree to Scotland born 1603 and coming to America in 1640 and another branch back to the early Germanic tribes of Middle Europe, most of my ancestors for the past 300+ years were American born, that makes me pretty much of American ancestry.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Rubym
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Native Americans were here first, and even they apparently at some time had come from Asia. Most people use some term for their background, a lot of times pulling out one of many because more of their ancestors came from one country (Ireland, for example), or they have a last name from one country (Ireland, Italy, etc.) even if they have other ancestry as well. Many people are identified by their last name.

Some cultures, especially Asians often put a great deal of importance in their ancestors, some worship them, some do not. African Americans only fairly recently been able to trace families back before the end of slavery, sometimes to Africa. That became popular after the book and Miniseries "Roots" in the 1970's.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Isn't English already American" , an American of British ancestry is American, but an English person is not American unless they become citizens.

Some people make a lot of their ancestors, others do not and don't like it when people use the terms.

• 1 decade ago

People often confused nationality with race, ethnicity or ancestral heritage. What you saw probably came from statistics off of census records.

Nationality is only the country of which you are a citizen. Now some people can have dual citizenship. It is not your race, ethnicity or ancestral heritage. It not the country from which your ancestors immigrated.

Some dictionaries define nationality as where you are born but that gets murky. If you are born in the U.S., you are an American citizen. This isn't true of all countries. In some countries if you are born to foreign national parents that does not automatically make you a citizen.

I am a Pedigree American Mutt. When I was asked that question by the census taker I just went blank. He said, "American?" and I said, "yes." It has been stated that most people in the South gave the answer, American. Those of English descent in the North were more inclined to say English. I think some of the New England Yankee families have had more of a tendency to stay within their own.

The English in the South in early colonial days usually came from titled families and they were mostly on the Eastern seaboard of the Southern states. The Scots, Scotch Irish, people from one of the German states were more rugged and went inland, cleared the land and made it habitable and then the English moved westward. French Huguenots came in and were frequently good cotton agents for the English planter who all too often didn't want to be bothered with business. But as time went by all of these people have pretty much blended. Even though Anglo Saxon specifically means English, the so called Anglo Saxon people of the South are really a mix of all these people. So asking them their ancestry, they will give you their nationality, American. Because of the blend, many probably don't' know their exact ancestry. Probably descendants of later immigrants to our country know more about where their ancestors came from than those of colonial heritage.

• 1 decade ago

You cant really have an American Ancestry. America is made up of tons of different ethnic groups like you pointed out. So in truth, anyone who has family that has lived in America could say they have an american ancestry. The English weren't the only ones to found this country, so it would be wrong to say that you could only have an American ancestry if you were English.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Anthropoligical Anser: Is what many have said Native Americans Indians-Irqois, Apache, Sioux, and so on are Native Americans. These are Indigonous people to the Americas. To be branded American Decent, is to have American Citizenship in the Modern Era of History.

In India- Punjabi would not be of Brahmne decent. In Europe, Celtic origins are now being found in the Mongolian Siberian Platue. So to answer your question if your 2nd generation Your American.

From the Definition of American History

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think the real Ancestry of America is the American native Indians.. Those are the True people that was here when the Spanish discovered the country.

American Ancestry is more/less grouped into cultures of mixed race and other countries! Many English started the settlements and banded together into colony's. You are rite that our ancestry is mixed with all sorts of people and cultures handed down from the generations...

• 1 decade ago

People from America are already American. People who are of English decent are from England.

• 1 decade ago

Native Tribes and Nations are the only Americans, from my prospective,

that can be defined as such. The rest of us are immigrants or descendants of immigrants at one time or another. Native tribes have been here for thousands of years. If you are European you have been here for a couple of hundred years or so. Who is the American?

Source(s): History...Anthropology, Etc.
  • 1 decade ago

No, the English came from England.

I assume they're referring to Native Americans -- people who were here before Europeans came along and spoiled all their fun.

• daviss
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

nope Locke became from Avon.. you look badly knowledgeable so i'm going to enlighten you.. John Locke between the 1st of the British empiricists, following the custom of writer 1st baron verulam, he's the two substantial to social settlement theory. His artwork had an incredible impact upon the form of epistemology and political philosophy. His writings stimulated Voltaire and Rousseau, many Scottish Enlightenment thinkers, besides because of the fact the yankee revolutionaries. His contributions to classical republicanism and liberal theory are meditated interior the yankee announcement of Independence purely this you pick to comprehend the place the beginning stone of western civilisation springs from google a guy called John Locke and he became from Bristol. >>>>>We carry those truths to be self-obvious, that each and all and sundry adult adult males are created equivalent, that they are endowed by skill of their author with specific unalienable Rights, that between those are existence, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.<<<<< it rather is very an instantaneous quote from Locke. Thomas Jefferson wrote: "Sir Francis Bacon, Locke and Newton ... I evaluate them because of the fact the three maximum appropriate adult adult males that have ever lived, with none exception, and as having laid the beginning of those superstructures that have been raised interior the actual and ethical sciences.. and wager what they're all English adult adult males.. superb attempt although i'm going to offer you that.. you're forgiven, ermm from Bristol i think of you will locate I mentioned as you be sure.. lol so while you're acquainted together with his artwork why are you attempting to 'indoctrinate' his artwork in a medieval Scottish call to a massacre? and the guy under makes a stupid factor besides, it is comparable to announcing Einstein became greater stepped forward then newton, yet no Newton no Einstein. and the crack regarding the AWI ending in cohesion is nonsense, each and all the loyalist human beings have been kicked out..and that is composed of Scottish loyalists.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.