Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Pro-choicers and/or Pro-lifers, do you agree with the message in the song "Papa Don't Preach" by Madonna?

""Papa Don't Preach" is sung from the perspective of a teenage girl who admits to her father [...] that not only is she pregnant, but she plans to keep and raise the child. Typically for Madonna, the single caused some controversy because of its somewhat taboo subject matter. It was criticized by parents, religious groups, and women's organizations because it seemed to glorify teenage pregnancy."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papa_Don%27t_Preach

What is your opinion on the subject matter?

• David
    Favorite Answer

Actually, I think that is one of the few wholesome messages to be found in Madonna's repertoire. I strongly support any woman's decision to keep and raise her child. I also think that the father should be involved, as it takes two to tango, as the saying goes. Being a single mother is not an easy thing, especially for a young person.

I think that the pro-life movement in general needs to concentrate more on counseling, support, prayer and adoption, and less on picketing and lobbying. i don't like Roe v. Wade very much at all, but I'm not under any illusion that it will be overturned any time soon.

I would also like for many advocates for life to come off of their high horse inregard to birth control. If a pregnancy never happens, a young woman will not have to make this agonizing choice.

God bless.

Source(s): Just my $.02.

Education for women to not have unwanted pregnancies starts in the home before these woman having these babies become adults. Unfortunately liberals are doing so much to destroy family today that we have more and more women growing up in dysfunctional families and not getting the tools they need from parents to live a successful life. Ultimately It's not my responsibility to lower the number of unwanted pregnancies. Women and men's penises and vagina's are not my nor anyone's responsibility to monitor so that they do not have an unwanted child . It's no more my responsibility to monitor people having or not having sex that brings about an unwanted pregnancy than it is my responsibility to monitor when they urinate. It's called self control, the thing any normal person exercises when they are raised correctly. When I eat and I am full, it is my responsibility to know I am full and stop eating. When I have sex, it it is my responsibility to wear contraception if I don't want to have a child, and if I were to have a child, it is my responsibility to take care of that child. Unless that is you think I am some how responsible for others choice to have sex , in that case I would tell you that you are mistaken. If women want to cut down on unwanted pregnancies, they need to start thinking before having sex. Right now I have no children, and I have no children not because the opportunity has not arisen to have sex, but rather because I chose not to have sex because I am not ready for a child right now . God bless.

Well, at that time anything about being proud of being a teen mother was taboo, but of course I support a message that tells teens to keep their baby. I mean, I dont support teens going out and getting preg on purpose, but it happens. I am prochoice, but I think a song encouraging people to keep their babies is better than a song saying she is goin down to the clinic to take care of it.

I agree. Its easier to preach when we don't understand what was going on in the same book we preach from. They were having kids a 14 years old even younger. All we do now is stand to the side and point our fingers. Whatever happened to it takes a village?

Holy crap. This whole time, my whole life, I thought she was singing a song about how her dad wanted her to dump her boyfriend and she wouldn't because she "wants to keep her baby".

Sorry, I should add, now that I know what the song means, if she wants to keep her baby she should and if she doesn't, she could have an abortion. A woman has the right to chose how she wants to live her life.

Source(s): Pro choicer.

It was the 80s. Teen pregnancy wasn't the coolest thing since sliced bread in highschools back then.

Teenagers get pregnant. It shouldn't be encouraged, but it happens. You can handle the situation hatefully or with compassion. People don't like anything that calls them out for hateful behavior.

As usual, "Madonna Do Belch" is much better than "Papa Don't Preach" and so the circus goes on...

• I think any time someone chooses to keep a baby, it's good. Unless of course it's Madonna.

Source(s): Pro Choice.
  • Janian

I agree that it is the girl/woman's choice, no one else's.

I don't think it glorifies it because it talks about the trouble she is in.