What's the best way to backup your gmail emails?

The makers of gmail designed the system so that you never need to delete an email - but as your inbox grows, it can become a HUGE liability if your account ever becomes compromised.

I'd like to download the current messages and encrypt them onto my own machine - and from there I can delete the online ones through gmail (that way there won't be a massive collection of emails at a thief's disposal.) I was thinking something along the lines of using Mozilla Thunderbid and then using the client to download the emails to a SINGLE .mbox file - and from there I can encrypt it using TrueCrypt. I'd just like to know the method as I believe POP3 needs to be enabled or something along those lines.

Favorite Answer

Exactly. in order to do it, i would use Microsoft outlook as an example.

To enable POP in Gmail:

1. Sign in to Gmail.

2. Click Settings at the top of any Gmail page.

3. Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.

4. Select Enable POP for all mail or Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on.

5. Choose the action you'd like your Gmail messages to take after they are accessed with POP.

6 click Save Changes.

Now you need to configure your email client

Open Outlook.

Click the Tools menu, and select E-mail Accounts...

Click Add a new e-mail account, and click Next.

Choose POP3 as your server type by clicking the radio button, and click Next.

Fill in all necessary fields to include the following information:

User Information

Your Name: Enter your name as you would like it to appear in the From: field of outgoing messages.

Email Address: Enter your full email address (username@gmail.com or username@your_domain.com)

Server Information

Google Apps users, enter the server names provided, don't add your domain name in this step.

Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.gmail.com

Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.gmail.com

Login Information

User Name: Enter your Gmail username (including @gmail.com). Google Apps users, enter your full address in the format username@your_domain.com

Password: Enter your email password

Click More Settings... and then click the Outgoing Server tab.

Check the box next to My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication and select Use same settings as my incoming mail server.

Click the Advanced tab, and check the box next to This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL) under Incoming Server (POP3).

Check the box next to This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL) under Outgoing Server (SMTP), and enter 465 in the Outgoing server (SMTP) box.

Click OK.

Click Test Account Settings... After receiving Congratulations! All tests completed successfully, click Close.

Click Next, and then click Finish.

Download the latest updates for Outlook from Microsoft. This will help prevent the most common Outlook errors Gmail users see.

Congratulations! You're done configuring your client to send and retrieve Gmail messages.

Now click send and receive and download all you gmail messages.

Next use the export function of the Outlook to export all you emails to a file and then burn that file to a CD. Here are the steps on how to export all you emails:

1. On the File menu, click Import and Export.

2. Click Export to a file, and then click Next.

3. In the list, click Personal Folder File (.pst), and then click Next.

4. Click the folder that contains the messages you want to back up. If the folder contains a subfolder that you want to include, select the Include Subfolders check box, and then click Next.

5. Under Save exported file as, click Browse, and then specify a name and location for your backup file, for example, Mail Backup.

6. If you back up a .pst file that you have backed up to before, click one of the following:

Replace duplicates with items exported Existing data will be overwritten with the information in the file being exported.

Allow duplicate items to be created Existing data will not be overwritten, and duplicate information will be added to the backup file.

Do not export duplicate items Existing data will be kept, and the duplicate information in the folder will not be copied to the backup file.

7. Click Finish.

Source(s): NRK

I was also searching best solution to backup my Gmail account regularly. After Google search I found a blog post that has described top 5 tools to backup Gmail account. I used all suggested methods and found them helpful but SysTools Gmail backup is the first choice for me. You can also download this program to check out software working.

First press print (to make it in the printable form). then, press file, save-as and address to your destination drive (hard disk) so that, the copy of the email will be transferred to your hard disk. by then, you may delete or remain the original in the email. I doesn;t know whether is this what u means by backup yoir email. Hope its help!

Create a new Email Id and Fowar all ur mails to Them ...