can there be such a thing as a good slave master?

many see it as such:

if you were a slave master, you are totally evil since you are partaking in an evil institution. even if you, as a slave master, give your slaves the maximum freedom that you are allowed to, you will still be just as evil as the man that brutally beats his slaves everyday for no reason.

so given that, can there be such a thing as a good slave master? if not, is there something fallacious about the above line of thinking that inhibits there being one or is it just not possible?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You are working this under the assumption that to own slaves is unforgivably evil unto itself. If this is a given then no, there can be no such thing as a "good" slave owner.

The same might be said of Germans during WW2 who used slave labor. If you used slave labor you were evil. But what about Schindler (of "Schindler's List")? He understood that keeping Jews as slaves kept them out of the Death Camps. He owned a factory and made it a point to keep as many Jewish slave laborers as possible - expressly to save their lives. Did this make him evil?

What would you say of a wealthy land owner who owned just one or two slaves, but had them live in his home as regular family members? Doing this would keep those few away from field labor and cruel conditions. Evil?

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Even though I believe slaveowning is evil, if I were a slave owner in the USA in the 1800s, I wouldn't set my slaves free.

think about it.

A free black person in the slave-owning days would have a terrible life. they would not be successful by any means. It would be almost impossible for them to get even a horrible job because an employer would probably sooner buy a slave to do labour than pay a free man. A free black man would be treated like dirt and often be refused services to support himself or his family. It would be a better life to be the slave of a reasonable, courteous slave master, than to be free.

• 1 decade ago

I would say the Master who beats and abuses his slaves is worse than the master who doesn't.

I think, there could be a good slave master. If:

In the times he lives in, some people are genetically picked to be slaves and if he released his slaves, they would just be captured and used as slaves again.

So then he treats his slaves with respect and does not abuse them unless or until he can help then escape that society.

• 1 decade ago

I think there is such a thing. If he released his slaves, then what's there to stop the ex-slaves from being captured again and being made to be slaves again? By keeping them for himself he's giving them freedom that they might not otherwise get.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

How can a SLAVE master be good? Unless, he buys the slaves, and sets them free

• 3 years ago

grasp-slave is an addressing mechanism used to tell apart between 2 units on an IDE (PATA) cable. yet SATA in straight forward terms facilitates one gadget on its cable, so there is not any choose for for something like grasp-slave or its jumpers. So, you merely plug the SATA cable the gadget (alongside with ability), and you're carried out. in case you have 2 SATA HDs, then you rather might have 2 cables.

• 1 decade ago

Good question! I agree with you. There can be no good slave master as they took freedom away from innocent African-Americans.

• 1 decade ago

...no...a slave is a slave, to a slave master nice, bad or otherwise...

...good luck...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you're still doing an evil thing. you may have good intentions, but freedom is the only policy

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.