Power of Attorney vs Guardianship? ?

I will most likely have my boyfriends daughter by myself for a year (she is not mine biologically, her real mom is not in the picture and has lost legal rights...just fyi)

In order to put her in school, take her to the doctor etc. Do I need just a POA or guardianship? And what is the difference?


This is because her dad will be away for weeks at a time due to work, and we want to make sure I am able to take care of everything legally without any problems.

(FYI again just because sometimes people don't see it, her biological mom is not in the picture at all)

4 Answers

  • 4 years ago

    I think this is an interesting question. Currently, adoption is portrayed to children in care other than adoption as the only way to make you part of a family; to give a child that sense of belonging. If children were able to understand they could still have their 'forever family' without needing to lose their identity, contact with first family etc, I believe most would opt for that option once all the emotion had been talked through. I am not sure Guardianship is the only way either though. I know in some places a Guardianship order would not be favoured by PAP's as this sort of order means the mother/parents of the child gets to make fairly important decisions in the child's life such as input as to what school they go to etc. I can see this being a problem point and it opens the floor for many days in court trying to resolve things. I do see the strong need for a Permanent Care order being brought in; one that gives stability to a child's life whilst giving the child unlimited access to his/her first family (if it is the wishes of the child otherwise a plan needs to be put in place with infants etc) and access to all their original paperwork and ONE birth certificate. I do not think adoption is good enough for any child as it has way too many flaws but as someone once mentioned in another answer, the powers that be need to use their imagination to come up with something that offers children who NEED to be in care the best of both worlds.

  • Ann F
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

    If you don't want to hire an attorney, see if you can find a computer program with which you can make up a Power of attorney and have him sign/notarize.. I used something by Quicken but was for an adult. You probably can find the difference by googling or wickipedia.

    Good luck

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Have the father write a letter stating he gives permission to you to take his daughter to doctor appointments and sign her in at school etc. He will need to include address and a contact phone number

  • 1 decade ago

    guardianship is needed. poa is just a legal way of saying you can sign checks an such in their name from their accounts an such

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.