Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicCelebrities · 1 decade ago

Why was Norm Mcdonald let go from SNL... I know it's a dated question?

I have tried to find the clip that may have got him fired... I have heard several stories and have seen clips of him on interviews skating past the reason... what is the official reason?

Favorite Answer

It sounds as if there were a couple of things that led to it...

After the announcement that Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley planned to divorce, Macdonald joked about their irreconcilable differences on Weekend Update: "She's more of a stay-at-home type, and he's more of a homosexual pedophile." He followed this up a few episodes later with a report about the singer's recent collapse and hospitalization. Referring to a report of how Jackson had decorated his hospital room with giant photographs of Shirley Temple, Macdonald remarked that viewers should not get the wrong idea, adding, "We'd like to remind you that Michael Jackson is, in fact, a homosexual pedophile." The joke elicited audible gasps from some audience members. He responded to this by saying, "What? He is a homosexual pedophile."

Macdonald's time with Saturday Night Live effectively ended in late 1997 when he was finally fired from the Weekend Update segment upon the insistence of NBC West Coast Executive Don Ohlmeyer, who pressured the producers to remove him, explaining that Macdonald was "not funny." Some believe that Don Ohlmeyer's friendship with O.J. Simpson — a celebrity whom Macdonald often antagonized on the show — may have fueled Ohlmeyer's decision.[1] Ohlmeyer denied the rumor, arguing that other NBC late-night comedians (e.g., Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien, and other SNL players) also constantly lampooned Simpson with little to no sanction, and that his decision was based solely on audience reaction through tapes he had personally reviewed. David Letterman and Howard Stern later insisted in interviews with Macdonald that Ohlmeyer was really just carrying out the work of producer Lorne Michaels, who was too cowardly to fire him directly.

On February 28, 1998, one of his last appearances on SNL occurred as host of a fictitious TV show called Who's More Grizzled?, who asked questions of "mountain men" played by that night's host Garth Brooks and special guest Robert Duvall. In the sketch, Brooks' character said to Macdonald's character, "I don't much care for you," to which Macdonald replied, "A lot of people don't."

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): norm mcdonald snl 39 dated question: https://bitly.im/dMRku
  • millet

Norm Macdonald Fired

I don't know why Norm Mcdonald was fired, but I did get the feeling that his humor was homophobic at times, and that homophobic humor was becoming passé.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/D0qck

I always thought that when he slipped up and said the "f" word live may have had something to do with it.

• It was because he wasn't funny.

yes he was