What do you think of people choosing to clone their departed pets?

On MSN today they are talking about a couple from Florida that chose to clone their yellow lab that died of cancer. They spent upwards of 155,000 to have this done. Alot of research done shows that cancer can be carried in the genes and I was wondering what you thought the possibilty of this dog also developing cancer would be? And there is always the morality isuue.

Favorite Answer

I can understand psychologically why people do it, although I don't agree with it. The disease factor may or may not arise, and I'm sure they were counseled about that matter before going through with the procedure.

But to each their own...it's their money to piss away, and people who have that sort of wad don't generally look at things in the same moral light as you or I so that point is moot.

• amy

I never understood people wanting to clone pets. All you will have is a dog that looks like the first. Its personality and everything else will be different.

I would think that there is definitely a possibility of the clone developing cancer, especially if they gathered the DNA after it developed. Another issue is that a lot of cloned animals have not lived very long.

• Debi

They have more money than sense. I know that sounds harsh but the solid simple fact of the matter is that it will NOT be their departed dog - just a carbon copy of it. The dog they loved was who it was because of it's life experiences and training, not simply a matter of genetics. The copy will not share those memories and learning experiences - it will get it's own as it grows up.

They will end up looking at the dog and thinking "it's not the same", they may love it and all or may come to resent it for being a copy. Either way I think they will end up regretting the spending of all that money.

I wouldn't do it because I think it would tarnish the memory of the original.

• LILI

I personally would not clone my dog. My most beloved dog died a year ago from cancer. If they were 20 of him, I would own all 20. I realize that he was great and they are other great dogs in need of rescue that have the same potential. Every dog is unique just like every person. Cloning takes this away. It is an amazing medical breakthrough and in the future will be used for great things.

ok first of all that's so incorrect the entire scientists cloning issues sure in my view it may be sensible for some motives, Say your puppy have been given in a bad twist of destiny and lost a leg, they could clone the pets DNA from the leg and make a sparkling one for transplant yet why could you p.c. to clone your puppy... pay attention to this before you clone your puppy. you like you puppy no? nicely in case you clone it (a precise reproduction of it) it may desire to no longer even act the comparable way it may desire to be advise, sweeter, shy-er it basically would not be the comparable... Cloning is basically making it look the comparable My argument is Nature Vs. Nurture it won't ever enhance up the comparable...Meet the comparable human beings, animals.. It wont react the comparable... So why commerce your old puppy for this concept?

I understand they miss their dog....but come on!!! Do you know how much $155,000 could help other animals? I am sure the Humane Society could have done a lot with that money :(

As much as I love my dogs, I just couldn't do it. Even though the animal would supposedly be a duplicate of my dog, I wouldn't be able to get over the fact that is IS NOT my dog... just a copy....

Why would someone do that? when your times comes, your time comes. God chose to let the animal go, people should respect that.

Source(s): Hooray :D

i think people who try to clone animals are bad cause it could effect animal in so many ways!