Can somebody please explain why people think "pit bull" is a breed and why they are so hated?

I truly cannot fathom what would make somebody think they have a right to tell me what type of dog I am allowed to own. If you want an over sized rat dog, fine. But, don't tell me my American Staffordshire Terrier is a vicious animal. He's not. He has never hurt anyone. Or another animal. If he's so... show more I truly cannot fathom what would make somebody think they have a right to tell me what type of dog I am allowed to own. If you want an over sized rat dog, fine. But, don't tell me my American Staffordshire Terrier is a vicious animal. He's not. He has never hurt anyone. Or another animal. If he's so aggressive and unpredictable, how am I still alive? I won't go into a full tirade because I don't want to be too rude. But, I can't help but sob when I see websites like dogsbite.org. Why do people want to kill my dog? Ignorant people have destroyed the "nanny dog" name for bully breeds. People used to let their "pit bulls" babysit their children! Helen Keller had a pit bull. Why didn't it eat her? Because dogs don't just bite people for no reason. Dogs bite out of fear. If you know the signs, bites are 100% preventable. And, "pit bull" is not a registered breed unless you live in England. The AKC doesn't recognize such a breed, therefore it is non-existent. People make me so angry. Can someone help me understand why people are so cruel? This is actually sort of a rhettorical question as I am expecting a few people to try to convince me to save my six-year-old siser from the "vicious mongrel" lurking and waiting to attack. Please *rolls eyes*. I actually do know about "pit bull" type dogs and would consider myself something of an expert. I just want to know the ideas of others. Somebody give me a reason to not trust my best friend.
Update: Oh my freaking goodness. Did any of you actually read my question? Poin out to me where I said "AKC is God". I said that unless you're in England, it is not a breed. And yes, dog bites are completely preventable. I am referring to people who have other people's dogs euthanized because an... show more Oh my freaking goodness. Did any of you actually read my question? Poin out to me where I said "AKC is God". I said that unless you're in England, it is not a breed. And yes, dog bites are completely preventable. I am referring to people who have other people's dogs euthanized because an irresponsible owner trained their dog for dogfighting. Diseases are an exception. If all you have to tell me are nasty things, butt out.
Update 2: If the question isn't worded the way you think it should be...Don't answer it.
Update 3: Okay, I know my dog. I don't need an explanation of what an AST is. I know. Thanks. Got it.
Update 4: Yes, "Cristen B"(?) I do know all about that. I do have the answers to all my questions. I know why Americans think they have purebred "pit bulls". I know why they're hated. I wanted to see if anyone else agreed with me. They do. If anyone read the question they wouldn't be so freaked... show more Yes, "Cristen B"(?) I do know all about that. I do have the answers to all my questions. I know why Americans think they have purebred "pit bulls". I know why they're hated. I wanted to see if anyone else agreed with me. They do. If anyone read the question they wouldn't be so freaked out about me saying the pit bull is not a breed. Because where I live, America, it's not. In the UKC, which isn't God either, it is. Read the f-ing question before you post your BS answer.