Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

How come Jesus told His Apostle to sell their garments and buy a sword if they didn't have one?

Luke 22:34-37 (King James Version)

34And he said, I tell thee, Peter, the cock shall not crow this day, before that thou shalt thrice deny that thou knowest me.

35And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.

36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

37For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.

So why would Jesus say to go get a sword?

skepticat, are you Christian?

Your avatar name is kinda suspect with the "skep" part. :)

Favorite Answer

First, they did have swords, two for sure....there was no objection on Jesus part that they carried them, either.

Two...They where most likely what is called a short sword.

Three...What Jesus is saying in these verses is that shortly they would no longer be liked but despised. That soon, get prepared, take courage, you will need the "Sword of God", the Holy Spirit....He was trying to prepare them for what was coming, That they would soon be without Him. That there would be division and it would be ugly. Some also believe that He literally meant swords, because He would not be with them and it would get ugly as we all know it did...that they would need to protect themselves also with swords from robbers and brigands, etc....which I could also see as a possibility, concerning my fourth statement.

Four...Further along the disciples say but Lord look we have two, He says "It is enough." A lot of people say he was rebuking them here, but I believe as some others do, it was more of an implication such as this..."Well two swords are more then enough for men who will have the sword and shield of God with them."

Five....About Gethsemene.....The reason for Jesus reaction to Peter was because it was not authorized by God...Peter was not at that time given the authority to yield a sword, He did it without permission. You will see in the scripture that the others did first ask.., but Peter moved ahead without an answer.

Also, it was not the time, unlike us they did not not yet know what was to happen and why, that the Son of God was to die and suffer on the cross...........

So to end, my thoughts and opinions are that we are to be fully prepared and ready with the full Armour of God at all times.

Also, If we should have to ever "defend" ourselves God will let us know, it will be crystal clear for all of us.

PS: Reminds me of your shield over your Q & A in your profile, wouldn't you agree...?

Source(s): Research, thought, discernment and prayer..... Please contact me with any enlightenment or correction....this was quite a bit of study involved here.....thank you for the great ? and thoughts to ponder further....:))
  • I really struggled with this question so here's what I think. I think Jesus wanted the disciples to be armed in the Garden of Gethsemane to prove a point. He intended to show that, although he could physically defend himself, he was not going to. I think this was a bold way of making that point.

Plus, if the disciples had not been armed, Jesus would not have been able to heal the servant whose ear got cut off.

Edit: No, I'm an atheist and former Christian. I've studied the Bible a lot and I think the Jesus story is really cool. It's just some of his followers I get really put out with.

I can give you a brief answer to your question. Jesus rebuked Peter because Peter was using his sword as a means of protecting Jesus, as if there was some way that influence Jesus' sacrifice. God is in control, and sometimes what seems bad at the time, pays off in the end. I guess that sacrifice payed off.

Dear Friend,

I could point out that the Sword is also descriptive of the Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God, this passage (verse) it clearly says to "buy" which is the Greek word (G59) agorazō (ag-or-ad'-zo) Which is from G58; properly to go to market, that is, (by implication) to purchase; specifically to redeem: - buy, redeem.

The word "redeem" here can also mean..USE, so that it is very possible that Jesus was telling them to use the the Sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God (Ephesians 6:17).

After all, Jesus was now preparing His disciples for His departure. Therefore, He was equipping them for what they needed to continue on in spreading the Gospel and protecting themselves against evil.

• Kobun

heard a speaker about this once...

Suggested that Jesus knew a fight was coming at the garden, but when the Jews arrived with Roman soldiers, realized the disciples were hopelessly outclassed, so ordered them to be still.

Lucifer was the beast with 10000 young, there is a time to fight and a time to disarm- The sword in the stone.

So they could stab homosexuals and liberals - the main enemies of America.