Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

Why aren´t Jews in the parliaments of arab countries?

Out of 160 members of the Israeli Parliament,twelve are arabs.

Update:

"This is a wrong parallel"

It´s wrong - because you don´t like it?

"-Israel's population is very small, compared to Arab countries"

But it was not so small before 1948,when arab countries threw out 700000 Jews,right?And,small as it is,but there are Jews in arab countries.Why aren´s they represented in arabs parliaments?

"-Israel has no choice, because it could not make these people leave their land",

Oh,Israel has a choice!One thing is to let people live on the land-and another is to have them represented in Parliament.The question is very simple;there are arab representatives in Israeli Knesset,in spite of the fact that Israel is in conflict with arabs-but there´s not a single Jew in arab countries parliaments.Who are racists, then?

Bashara ran from Israel after it was proven that he had given military information to Hezbollah during the war of 2006.Don´t make a traitor and a scum some kind of a "martyr" (much as you ´re fond of doing it)

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It is most definitely a double standard.

Paperback gave a perfect answer.

I wish to address the question of another respondent that tries to deflect this question about Jews in predominantly Islamic/Arab countries. The question is "why aren't there any Arabs in the US senate?" that is a strawman

There have been Arab Americans in both House and Senate.

This below from Wikipedia

Arab Americans tend to split fairly evenly between the Republican and Democratic parties. However, a number of prominent Arab American politicians are Republicans, including New Hampshire Senator John E. Sununu, and California Congressman Darrell Issa, who was the driving force behind the state's 2003 recall election that removed Democratic Governor Gray Davis from office. The strong sense of family values characteristic of Arab Americans does not necessarily translate to Republican values in Arab American statesmen, however; the first woman Supreme Court Chief Justice in Florida, Rosemary Barkett, is known for her dedication to progressive values and has been publicly criticized by Republican politicians at various stages of her career. Ralph Nader is another example of a liberal Arab American politician.

George J. Mitchell, (Lebanese) United States of America special envoy to the Middle East under the Obama administration, .U.S. Senator from Maine, Senate Majority Leader.

John H. Sununu, (Lebanese/Palestinian) Governor of New Hampshire and White House Chief of Staff under George H. W. Bush.

John E. Sununu, (Lebanese/Palestinian) Senator from New Hampshire

Spencer Abraham, (Lebanese) Senator from Michigan and Secretary of Energy under Bush.

Ralph Nader, (Lebanese) consumer advocate, politician, first Arab American to run for President of the United States.

Elias Zerhouni (Algerian) current director of the National Institutes of Health. < not an elected office but still a part of the government

this list copied from another site:

James Abdnor, U.S. Senator (D-S.D.) (1981-1987)

James Abourezk, U.S. Senator (D-S.D.) (1973-1979) (Lebanese ancestry)[36]

Spencer Abraham, U.S. Secretary of Energy (2001-2005) and U.S. Senator (R-Mich.) (1995-2001) (Lebanese ancestry)

Victor G. Atiyeh, Governor of Oregon (R) (1979-1987)

John Baldacci, Governor of Maine (D) (2003- ) (Lebanese mother)

Mitchell Daniels, Governor of Indiana (R) (2005- )

Pat Danner, U.S. Congresswoman (D-Mo.) (1993-2001)

Camille Bud George, member of Pennsylvania House of Representatives

Philip Charles Habib, Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs and Special Envoy to Ronald Reagan (Lebanese)

Chris John, U.S. Congressman (D-La.) (1997-2005) (Lebanese ancestry)

Abraham Kazen, U.S. Congressman (D-Texas) (1967-1985) (Lebanese ancestry)

Ray LaHood, U.S. Congressman (R-Ill.) (1995-2009), U.S. Secretary of Transportation (2009- ) (Lebanese and Jordanian ancestry

Jimmy Naifeh, the Speaker of the Tennessee House of Representatives (D) (Lebanese ancestry)

Mary Rose Oakar, U.S. Congresswoman (D-Ohio) (1977-1993)

Jeanine Pirro, former Westchester County District Attorney and New York Republican attorney general candidate (Lebanese parents)

Nick Rahall, U.S. Congressman (D-W.Va.) (1977- ) (Lebanese ancestry)

Donna Shalala, U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services (1993-2001) (Lebanese parents)

George P. Shadid, Illinois State Police Sherrif, Illinois State Senator (immigrated from Lebanon)

So why would that 'question" be relevant HERE?

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Lets see the Arab countries threw out/expelled 700k Jews while Europe exported/deported the remaining several million I believe it was rougnly 2.5 million to Israel so who's wrong? Europe basically did the same thing to the Jews despite the formation of Israel for them they were in effect refugees when they arrived in their new country. Of course I am not answering your question: Representation wouldn't make any difference as their voices as a minority wouldn't be heard just as those Arabs in the Knesset aren't per se heard or listened to. The big problem in the ME is IRAN's stubborn refusal to allow for the existence of the Israeli State...they simply can't forgive not being able to take Jerusalem in ancient times. PEACE!

• 1 decade ago

All part of the same double standard. Over one million Jews were kicked out of Arab nations, with literally nothing but the clothes on their backs. Many of those Jews had lived there for centuries. The world remained silent.

As for the person who answered with the irrational statement that 'arabs were there in palestine first' - er, no, actually. PALESTINIAN JEWS are the 'natives' of that region and always were. Mark Twain confirmed this when he visited the region of Palestine and reported seeing only a few nomads and Palestinian Jews.

The Arabs only started arriving in bigger numbers AFTER the Jews irrigated the land and opened up job opportunities.

• 1 decade ago

Because it is harder to get a majority vote when trying to pass a "Remove Israel, the Stinking Swine-corpse from the Face of the Earth" Bill.

PS I am pro-Israel...my comments are sarcasm.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I don't know what the situation is about the Parliaments, but my family, along with many others were forced to flee from Syria, when Dhimmi changed.

There are about 25 Jews left there from my understanding: I have heard of this happening in other countries as well.

• Trish
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I know you will not believe this, but there is a difference.

The relatively few Jews who live in Arabic countries moved there when an Arab population was well-established and had been the vast majority in those countries for a long, continuous period leading right up to the time when the Jews came. They were naturally treated as "outsiders", and not brought into the government. Personally, as a citizen of the United States, I would prefer to see every country give immigrants the opportunity to become naturalized citizens with full rights of voting and representation, and I would certainly prefer to see every country treat all persons born within that country as citizens on an absolutely equal footing with other native-born citizens, regardless of their ancestry. Those are what immigrants and their children are supposed to have in our country (at least in theory). But the Arabic nations are not my country. I didn't give them their country, and I don't really get a say about who is in their parliament.

Modern Israel, on the other hand, was created after Jews had been only a small presence in the country for nearly TWO THOUSAND years, during which time many Arabs had moved into it. The Arabs did not move into a country that was overwhelmingly and continously Jewish. Rather, the then-newly founded United Nations (essentially, the Western powers who had triumphed in World War II) decided to recreate the ANCESTRAL homeland of the Jewish people, and part of the price was that Arabic residents were not supposed to be forced out, or treated as second-class citizens, in what had by this time been their country for many generations, and the most recent generations at that. Hey, the European powers made the country, so they made the rules.

Note that I do not deny Israel's right to exist, nor do I condone terrorism committed anywhere in the world. But your parallel is a faulty one, even if you don't believe that.

• Israelis have shown a remarkable amount of restraint toward the people in the Middle East who hate them. It is becoming more clear to people in the West that Israel may have to use a much greater degree of force against Iran and Syria.

• 1 decade ago

Apparently the ambassador from the Gulf Emirates to the US is Jewish and was a member of the Shura council, which sounds important. And she's a she. That is remarkable in itself. http://www.gulf-news.com/news/gulf/bahrain/1021705...

• breath
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

possibly they dont p.c. Madoffs, Greenspans, or Greenbergs to clutter with their financial equipment. we could desire to constantly initiate listening to those adult males. Obama is on the suitable course (before, it particularly is). Tommy

• Skidoo
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Perhaps because in Arab / Muslim countries Jews are seen as the worst sort of infidel?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.