Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesChicago · 1 decade ago

How good is the University of Chicago?

hey, i want to become an investment banker

is the university of chicago a good place to go as an undergrad??

how is the university as compared to IV league school?

and how good is their business school

if i want to be an investment banker, it the U of Chicago the right place for me?

Favorite Answer

I am a recent alum from the UofC, majoring in math and econ (which are perfect to be an investment banker). I have gone into the legal field, but many friends became I-bankers. The UofC will DEFINITELY prepare you for that work. In fact employees from Goldman, Chase, and (formerly) Lehman Bros., and Merrill Lynch would be there all the time, interviewing and recruiting.

That said, you need to be aware that the UofC undergrad experience is incredibly intense. The students thrive on having way too much work to do and argue over everything, from DesCartes to theology to whether a sunny day can be considered 'nice.' You will not only get a world-class economics degree, but you will get a world-class liberal arts education. Everyone is required to take the Core curriculum, which includes Math, Natural Science, Biology, Art, Humanities, Social Science, Foreign Language, and Civilization (which is basically history). They want you to leave a well-rounded student, fluent in many different disciplines, and they do a great job at it.

The campus is beautiful, the main quads consisting of neo-Gothic buildings covered in ivy. You'll spend hours and hours in the fall and spring sitting out there because it's so nice. In the winter, you'll be huddled by your radiator or, more likely, in the library. There are also many, many coffee shops to try. If you visit, I recommend the Classics Coffee Shop in the Classics building (the southwest corner of the main quad). The walls are covered in panelled wood, and the chairs are plush. Sometimes a fire will be going. When on the campus, you feel like you are in Oxford or (even better) Hogwarts, from Harry Potter.

I took some grad classes at the business school, too. It's much more modern and 'hip' (instead of wearing smelly flannel like the undergrads, the business students all have slick dress-clothes and laptops). One of the classes was taught by a Nobel Laureate in economics. You could go to his office hours, talk with him, and talk about his research. There aren't many places where you can do that.

So, if you are serious about your schoolwork, willing to put up with (or be a part of) a culture of eccentricity, and able to survive a Chicago winter, then the UofC could fit right up your alley.

P.S. A good friend of mine was an essay reader in the admissions office. When doing your application essay, be creative; the UofC wants you to explain how or why you think. That's why past prompts have included things like "What's your favorite math function, and why?" and "Please explain why you think the platypus exists." My year, it was "If you could tightrope over any place in the world, where would it be?" The one that the Dean of Admissions read at opening convocation? "I would walk over the fires of Hell." It's certainly a unique place. Best of luck!

P.P.S. It's "Ivy" League (like the plant), not "IV" League (like the intravenous fluid). The best schools for business would have to be Harvard and UPenn, like someone else already said. Wharton at UPenn is the best in the nation, though it's probably better to go there for grad school instead of undergrad.

Source(s): www.uchicago.edu
  • JenJen

My husband got his MBA there. He LOVES U of C and having an MBA there has provided him job opportunities that he probably wouldn't have had otherwise.

That being said, it is a VERY hard school to get into. I don't know anyone who has gone there as an undergrad, most people go there for graduate studies. Right now I am in a linguistics program at a state university in Illinois and most of my profs have gone to U of C for grad school.

Honestly, if you can get in for the undergrad program, do it. It's expensive, but in today's job market you need every advantage you can get, and getting a BA from U of C will certainly be advantageous. It may even help you get into the MBA program later on. If you decide to work in Chicago, going to U of C will definetly give you an edge.

Good Luck!

It is an amazing school.

"The 2009 edition of U.S. News and World Report ranks the undergraduate program 8th among national universities (tied with Columbia University and Duke University). Meanwhile, in its 2007 publication, "The Best 361 Colleges", the Princeton Review ranked the University of Chicago 1st in the country in the category of "best overall academic experience for undergraduates", the ranking being retired in 2008."

"Conducted by Tom Coupe, a researcher at the Universite Libre de Bruxelles, the study included in its list of best economics departments Harvard University, the University of Chicago, the University of Pennsylvania and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. "

• Mary

U of C is an exellent school! For business-related education I would also be looking into the Wharton School, of course, and Harvard.

very good question