Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

how to keep my kittens cool in 40 degree heat with no A/C.?

hi i have 6 12 week old kittens and a cat and we have no A/C and its 42 degrees and they are really hot. how do i keep them nice and cool so they dont die of heat stoke?

Favorite Answer

hailey kittens are supposed to be hot when young they are building immunitys, same reason your body gets a fever when you get a cold, its fighting the infection you have. normal temp for a cat is 100-105 F 37-39 also their moms milk in their belllies is 100+

cheap way to cool them is a hot water bottle filled with tap water under a blanket though.

Source(s): former vet tech

Give them a damp towel to lay on,or frequently spray them with cool water and have a fan running. Also,to get them to drink more,freeze some chicken broth in ice-cube trays so they can lick them.If you have a basement,they will stay cooler down there.

Edit: I'm sure she must live in Australia,where 40 degrees Celcius is over 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

cats are very good at finding cool spots. they also become even more inactive if they get too hot.

as long as you can survive in the heat, they can.

put a desk or something next to an open window, so they can lie in the breeze, if you have a rug you can pick up, let them sleep on the cold floor, if you have a basement or garage with a cement floor, that would be perfect for them.

you can try a fan, but most cats dont like it right in front of them.

edit - i assumed you meant 40C, which is 104F. if you meant 40F (4C), you will freeze them to death.

You mean Celsius, right? A table fan on the floor. If they were dogs I'd suggest hosing them down but that would freak out the kittens. How about a basin of water on the floor too, put a floaty toy in it. Or an inch of water in the bath with a towel so they can climb out..

I am pretty sure she means celcius people!

I am having the same issue right now although my cat is 5 months old.

I am spraying him with a water bottle and just making his fur a little damp.

I also had a shower before and now he is laying in there because its nice and cool.

Move their beds in front of a fan, and put ice in their milk/water.

Try and keep them in the coolest room of the house.

I have no a/c either so I feel your pain

• dar

Is your cat long hair? if so, possibly think of roughly getting the fur trimmed. They do shed, yet long hairs are greater carriers to getting warm. additionally confirm you keep the section the place the cat lays the main, cool. you could attempt and positioned a small fan there, if its by making use of an outlet. basically shop giving chilly water, and make advantageous that the cat is ingesting and ingesting.

• TM

In order to help them stay hydrated try wetting their food before or feed them or work some wet food in as part of their regular heating. Dehydration is very dangerous for pets in hot weather. Good luck!

• Vashti

I used to freeze water in bottles for my bunnies and put them in the shaded area where they were. It cooled the area and they could get up next to the cold bottle or move away as needed.

I hope it cools off soon!

• OR

If you mean celcius then go to the pet store and get some cooling pads. find a small fan and blow it in the opposite direction to circulate the air.

If you do mean degrees.....that is too cold and you will kill the kittens if you cool them further.

They have cooling pads at pet stores for them. or fans.