National Holocaust Remembrance Day?

Today is Holocaust Remembrance Day in some countries (EU) and I know Israel National Yom HaShoah is on 27 Nissan and other countries (USA May 8th) commemorate on separate days. I have never been to Israel but I have traveled to the Holocaust Museum in Washington, DC. I see that Israel also kicked off a new... show more Today is Holocaust Remembrance Day in some countries (EU) and I know Israel National Yom HaShoah is on 27 Nissan and other countries (USA May 8th) commemorate on separate days.

I have never been to Israel but I have traveled to the Holocaust Museum in Washington, DC. I see that Israel also kicked off a new exhibit in Yad Veshem, Israeli Holocaust Museum to commemorate righteous gentiles, Noahides, who came to Jewish aid.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090127/ap_o...

I would like to know people's opinions and if anyone has facts surrounding the Holocaust and what they have learned from them.

I learned that the Nazis used gas that murdered humans but only enough to kill them, not enough to kill them quickly, and that it was not pleasant (understatement.) I learned that there were individual people that perceived the threat early on but were powerless to combat it because there was not alliance. And I learned that individuals such as the righteous gentiles commemorated at the Yad Vashem and Holocaust Museums worldwide, saved Jewish people and made a difference. And I learned that allied forces that strive for morality, when combined, can defeat dark powers like Hitler.

I learned that was a low moral point in humanity, that in order to show the crimes that were done, allied forces had to photograph and preserve documentation so the next generation could understand the magnitude of the crimes committed against humanity, and mainly the Jewish people I learned that the documention was done so people could never turn their backs and say again "I didn't know.". I learned that local populations were brought to the death camps to show the crime done to humanity that they had overlooked, and they said "I didn't know" and the Jewish survivors said "You knew!"

What do you think and what facts do you have surrounding the Holocaust?

Please be respectful this is a sensitive issue.