Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

what is the process for having a family member in another state declared incompetent?

My friends elderly mom needs to be put in a mental institution, but the daughter lives a few states away. What can she do to have her mom declared incompetent? Or does she even have to do that to have her committed?

Update:

My friend ASKED me to ask this question in this forum!!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

First of all it's none of your business. Second, if she is incompetent she will get in trouble on her own. Let it happen. I can't help but think you or she are trying to do this for your own benefit not hers. A lot of elderly get taken to the cleaners by relatives. You or your friend are despicable people if I am right. I think I am right because you did not mention any thing she has done that would be of serious concern. It can be done quite easily but I am the last person to tell you how. I am embarking on my new career of Social Activist in this very area.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If she is in danger of herself, or others, lives in unsanitary conditions and can't take care of herself , then your friend can call adult protective services. Instead of a mental institution she may need to be placed in A convalescent home.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.