Emily asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

Can smoking crack cocaine make a person's physical appearance actually age?

Can smoking crack cocaine actually make a person's face age? I mean, like get wrinkles and start looking older? My friend says yes, but how? I can see how it damages your lungs and brain, but how your face?

Favorite Answer

Yes. It also makes your skin break out, and you are so cracked out that you pick at your skin constantly, and get a lot of scarring. It does cause wrinkles, although methamphetamine is worse. Google "many faces of meth" and you will see how it can progress over just a few years of use.

At least certain drugs can make you appear older. Your skin is a part of your body, so what affects your health can also affect the health of your skin. For example, from what I've been told, staying dehydrated causes your skin to age. If you stay hydrated, your skin is also more moisturized and thus, healthier and it stays younger looking. Point being, if it affects your health, sometimes it affects your skin.

I don't know exactly how cocaine would do this, but I do know drugs can make people look older. Maybe it's because they don't get as much rest since the drugs keep them going. I'm grasping at straws, though.

To be honest, I'm not sure HOW it works, but it does happen to some drug users. Usually when you are sick or tired, you appear older. I've known people who've ended up in rehab or jail thanks to drug use. To be honest, I never realized drugs had aged them, because I'd never known them to not be on drugs, but after they got out of rehab or jail (where they had no access to drugs), I was really surprised. I realized for the first time, how young they should have looked all along. However, obviously, this means at least some of that ageing was reversed once they quit using drugs, but I doubt all of it is reversed. Keeping yourself healthy- hydrated and full of antioxidants and omega-3 (can be gotten from vegetarian sources if wanted) for example- will keep your skin healthier, as well, preventing ageing damage.

Aas an added note, evidence suggests, smoking ages your skin. According to one article, "Smoking enhances an enzyme in the skin, matrix metalloproteinase-1, resulting in increased collagen breakdown and diminished collagen production. The overall effect causes wrinkling and inelasticity." So, as you see, these drugs and chemicals cause changes in our bodies that can damage our skin. What specific affects cocaine has on the body, I don't know. Here's the link to that article I quoted, though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6466041.stm

• Diann

smoking crack cocaine personphysical appearance age

Ohhh yeah.

Fasho.

Find the episode of Dr.Phil with the sisters who were addicted to crack, and you will see.

It's scary.

• Carole

No. They are ACTING the part not actually doing it. Just like when you see actors having sex they are not really having sex. It is make believe.

WHen you smoke ( cocaine ) you poison your body and it will show.

yea it does. crack eats u up, sucks you dry. you will lose ur teeth too.

um...of corse it can. eg, amy winehouse

ha ha amy winehouse!!!!

• L6 years agoReport

you are a stupid ******* *****. I hope you someday have to watch your children die. ******* ****.