Regions of the United States?

I need to know what states make up:

The South?

The Northeast? And does this include New England?

The West?

The Midwest?

Any other regions?

I don't live in the states, yet, and everyone I've asked the above questions to seem to be divided in their answers.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Your question will be difficult to answer, but I try to answer some of it.

New England & the Northeast are the same states. Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont.

Mid-Atlantic States are Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania.

Southern states are Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Midwestern states are Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota and Wisconsin.

The Western states are Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah,Washington, and Wyoming.

The region of some states can be called by two or more names.

Florida can be called a Southern state or a Gulf Coast state.

Texas can be called a Gulf Coast state, a Southwestern state or a Western state.

Idaho, Oregon, and Washington can also be called the Pacific Northwest.

Arizona,New Mexico,and Texas can be called the Southwest.

Finally Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas can be called the Gulf Coast.

Alaska and Hawaii are states, but not contiguous states so they are referred to by their individual names.

• 1 decade ago

The northeast would be places like Maine, Vermont, New York, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Massachusetts.

The Midwest would be Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, MIchigan, Wisconsin.

The South would be West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennesee, Virginia, North & South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, Louisianna, Arkansas.

The Plains states are Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Kansas, North & South Dakota, Misouri, Wyoming.

Pacific Northwest are Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Montana, Alaska.

Pacific Southwest are California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, Hawaii.

Hope this Helps.

• 1 decade ago

None of these are set it stone. You will get lots of disagreements.

Generally, the South is considered any state that joined the Confederacy during the War of the Rebellion. But yet most people consider West Virginia to be part of the south, although it broke off from Virginia and re-joined the Union. Rule of thumb: if they were confederates, they're the South.

The northeast is pretty much all of the states north and east of Pennsylvania. New England are the states,,mostly along the coast, north of New York. These were the prime areas that were settled by the English before they came down and took New Amsterdam and New Sweden. (New York, New Jersey, etc).

The West is anything west of the Rockies. At one time, the west was anything west of the coastal colonies, so you'll get lots of opinions about this. I was born in LA, so to me, West requires cowboys & rattlesnakes, not corn and wheat fields.

The Midwest somehow refers to Illinois, Indiana, Iowa.

And yes, every answer will differ. Even official ones.

Have a blast.

• 1 decade ago

well ill try to help, the south includes texas, mississippi ect...

northeast i would assume is the same as new england but northeast is not a common term you here people explaining where they live.

the westcoast would be cali and those states while the midwest is the more country states a little to the east of cali.

religion does not depend on area you live in. united states is very mixed. however a few places i do no is pennsylvania and those states over around there are popluar for the omish. also pennsylvania and through the new england states have alot of jewish decents. other wise most famous religions(through out cali at least) is christianity and catholic

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Marion
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

See the link.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.