Do you know the titles or authors of these books?

Okay, so there are two books that I remember reading when I was in elementary school, and I wanted to get them for my little cousin, but I can't remember the names! I will try and describe them for you... The first one is set in the past, (before the 1900's, sorry can't remember specifically, but if... show more Okay, so there are two books that I remember reading when I was in elementary school, and I wanted to get them for my little cousin, but I can't remember the names! I will try and describe them for you...

The first one is set in the past, (before the 1900's, sorry can't remember specifically, but if i guessed, I think it was the 1800's) and it's about a girl, whose father was murdered, and she thinks the queen and government are behind it. She's trying to run from whoever is after her and she befriends a boy (maybe a couple of them, not really sure! sorry) and he hides her and I remember specifically that in one part she joins the boys choir and pretends to be a boy, but I think eventually the choirmaster finds out...That's all I really remember, if you think you know what it is let me know!

The second one is set in "modern" time ( I think this book was written in the 80's or 90's) it's about a girl and I think her father got remarried to a woman who had two(?) children. And they are very strange and she learns that they don't age, and I think they want to kill her and her father, but the womans son feels bad and tries to save her...In the end I think he dies in a car crash...

I'm sorry I couldn't give you alot to work with, It's probably been about ten years since I've read these so my memory is sketchy...If it sounds remotely like a book you know of, please let me know! My memory may be off a bit!
Thanks soooo much!
Update: well, they don't actually describe the murder, it was just stated that he was murdered...but thanks for the informative answer...lol
Update 2: Draycona: Yes! that's it! Thanks soooo much!!!
Update 3: Draycona: Yes! that's it! Thanks soooo much!!!
Update 4: I just figured out the other title...A Murder for Her Majesty! Thanks anyhow!