Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

SCIENCE FICTION BOOKS FOR GIRLS?

Im a tottaly girl. i hate science fiction , and of course i have to read a book about it. not to long, not over 200 pages.

something easy to read not werid, something girls would like.

on animorphis books or whatever. thanks any sugguestions help

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

You should try reading some of the books of Anne McCaffrey. Most of them aren't too long, althought they might be over 200 pages. You can try any of the Acorna or Dragonriders of Pern books, but I think these are more fantasy. For Sci-Fi, try the Catteni series starting with Freedom's Landing or Crystal Singer books. Most of her books feature strong female characters and aren't too difficult.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/anne-mccaffrey...

You might also like Split Infinity, the first book in the Apprentice Adept series by Piers Anthony. This one is about young man, Stile, who can travel from his technical oriented world to a world of fantasy and magic. This one has both elements of sci-fi and fantasy, including robots, androids, unicorns and magic.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/a/piers-anthony/

Another book you might enjoy is Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game.

If you can include fantasy as part of science fiction, then try any of the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett or the Xanth series by Piers Anthony.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/terry-pratchet...

• Bolt
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Tyreeism - the Pern books are by Anne McCaffrey, not LeGuin.

DragonSong and DragonSinger (really should read them together, they're both short novels) by McCaffrey are "girly". Girl is neglected and abused at home, not allowed to be what she wants to be, runs away, makes friends, nearly gets killed, rescued by dragonrider, ends up where she most wants to be (music school). That's just the first book. The whole series by McCaffrey (over 20 books) are classified as sci-fi, but many argue that they are fantasy (telepathic dragons, midievil type culture, but the evidence of the technology that developed the dragons are there in the background - if you hate sci-fi and liked animorphs, you would probably like these two books). Dolphin's Bell is also from the same series, it's really short, about talking dolphins (brought from Earth to Pern), but I think the main character is a boy.

• Shevi
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

You might enjoy The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin. It's about a planet where people are neither male nor female. It raises the question of what our world might be like without the duality of gender. It's thought provoking, but it's not exactly short, though.

I've heard good things about The City of Ember by Jeane DuPrau. It's written for kids, but it's also over 200 pages.

And there's the very popular Uglies books. Those are probably more girly. They're about a future where everyone has to be physically perfect. It's about the pressure to conform to society's view of beauty.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sorry, but you're probably going to be pretty hard pressed to find something under 200 pages in the sci-fi department that doesn't qualify as complete crap (see "Animorphs", as much as I did like that series when I was a kid...) What I can do though is give you some interesting sci-fi that is decently written and should be interesting from whatever walk of life you're from.

Also, are you allowed to do fantasy? Or just science fiction?

Either way, there are my suggestions for both:

For fantasy, try something like David Eddings' Redemption of Althalus. No hoity, toity complicated magical stuff here and the characters are witty and adorable in their own way. Anything by Eddings is good for this if you can find a shorter one, but I would suggest this one as it is a stand alone book.

Also, Piers Anthony is a pretty good fantasy sci-fi/fantasy writer and very accessible. I'd suggest the "Incarnations of Immortality" series if you want something "not too weird".

In terms of pure sci-fi, as you may have guessed, the majority is probably a bit...geeky/weird. Even the more popular ones for me are a bit odd (Vonnegut and Asimov included....). Still, there are a few out there that are more fun than complicated. A few years back I read a book called Masque by F. Paul Wilson, pretty easy read and the story was pretty entertaining.

If you can push it and you REALLY want something short, an alternative you may not have thought of is a graphic novel. Or, as the less pretentious of us like to call it: a comic book. Superheros undoubtedly fall into the category of science fiction. I would suggest Marvel over DC just because it tends to be more accessible and less dark. So, in that genre, I would say pretty much anything with Spider-Man or Fantastic Four would be your best bet for something more gender neutral.

Overall though, sci-fi is what it is, but give whatever you read a fair chance. I've personally read every one of those books (with the exception of the graphic novels...there's no way I could get through all of them) and I can personally tell you that they're all fun and pretty easy to read.

Plus, even though I am a bit of a geek myself, without good characters and a good story, any book is boring so don't think I'm just recommending these because I like sci-fi. :P

Just don't knock it until you try it is all I'm saying.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Look for short stories, from authors like Isaac Asimov or Philip K Dick, but since your a girl I guess you won't like to think (no offense).

Anyway, try this ones:

The left hand of darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_left_hand_of_dark...

The Carpet Makers by Andreas Eschbach

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Carpet_Makers

Dying of the Light by George RR Martin

• Chelfi
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Check out books by Sheri S. Tepper -- they're really incredible stories, and very much written from a female point of view.

You could start with The Gate to Women's Country.

• josic
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

attempt "The Host" by Stephenie Meyers (Twilight author). the tale is approximately what's terrific and worst approximately humanity; love, hate, concern, anger, sorrow; approximately how we cope with people who're diverse; approximately how the strategies and the physique react in a diverse thank you to love; approximately belonging . . . all informed from the perspective of a non-human. The characters are unforgettable, the romance is intense, and the e book takes you on an emotional rollercoaster experience. submit to in strategies, however, it starts off gradual, then gets greater effectual and greater effectual and greater effectual.

• 1 decade ago

Turning Point - Lisanne Norman

Dune - Frank Herbert

There Will Be Dragons - John Ringo (this is a mix of fantasy and sci-fi. It has elements of both)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

ursula la guin(check spelling) novels about the dragons of pern woul be excellent

• 1 decade ago

Uglies by Scott Westerfield

it is very popular. and not very long! :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.