Job Opportunities for Astronomy and Astrophysics ?

I just got accepted into my dream school, Florida Institute of Technology for Astronomy & Astrophysics. Now in order for my parents to agree to let me go, i need to provide them with the different companies and job opportunities with this major.

Any advice would be wonderful.

Thank you

• eri
    Favorite Answer

Congrats! There really aren't any jobs in astronomy or astrophysics if you don't have a PhD in the field, so if that's what you want to do, get ready for the long haul. With a bachelors degree, you could teach high school in some states (with certification), work at a museum or planetarium (not too many of those jobs out there), or work as a data analyst for a lab, university, or NASA (although these jobs often go to grad students, who are cheaper to hire and have more experience on average). With a masters, you could teach high school in any state (with certification), teach community college (no certification needed) and have a better shot at a data analyst job.

With a PhD, you could work for a college or university (teaching and doing research), a national lab (such as LLNL, LANL, NOAO, NSO, NRAO), or NASA. However, keep in mind that if you do want to go to grad school in astronomy of astrophysics, you really need a physics major. The astronomy is good as a double major, but an astronomy major by itself - even an astrophysics major - doesn't really prepare you for the physics you'll need in grad school. If you do take one of these majors and plan on going to grad school, make sure you also take at least : intro physics I and II, math physics I and II, modern physics, classical mechanics, E&M, quantum physics, and thermodynamics/statistical mechanics.

If you don't end up in a job in astronomy, many astronomers have moved on to R&D departments at major companies and tech companies, using their computer programming skills (take a class in it!) for everything from medical imaging to working for 'Second Life'.

Good luck!

Source(s): PhD student in physics, astrophysics

Jobs In Astronomy And Astrophysics

sorry. i really don't know. i don't even know what astronomy is!!!