Do you agree with the Basketball Coach being fired b/c he wasn't apologetic for beating another team 100-0?

Unapologetic coach of 100-0 win fired by school

Associated Press

MORE: Read the original story | Should the coach get fired?

DALLAS — The coach of a Texas high school basketball team that beat another team 100-0 was fired Sunday, the same day he sent an e-mail to a newspaper saying he will not apologize "for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity."

Kyle Queal, the headmaster for Covenant School, said in The Dallas Morning News online edition that he could not answer if the firing was a direct result of coach Micah Grimes' e-mail disagreeing with administrators who called the blowout "shameful."

Queal did not immediately answer phone messages or e-mail from The Associated Press.

On its Web site last week, Covenant, a private Christian school, posted a statement regretting the outcome of its Jan. 13 shutout win over Dallas Academy. "It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened. This clearly does not reflect a Christlike and honorable approach to competition," said the statement, signed by Queal and board chair Todd Doshier.

Grimes, who has been criticized for letting the game get so far out of hand, made it clear in the e-mail Sunday to the newspaper that he does not agree with his school's assessment.

"In response to the statement posted on The Covenant School Web site, I do not agree with the apology or the notion that the Covenant School girls basketball team should feel embarrassed or ashamed," Grimes wrote in the e-mail, according to the newspaper. "We played the game as it was meant to be played. My values and my beliefs would not allow me to run up the score on any opponent, and it will not allow me to apologize for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity."

A phone number for Grimes could not be located by The Associated Press. The Dallas Morning News said Grimes did not respond to their repeated e-mail requests for a telephone interview.

There was no answer at a number listed for Doshier.

A parent who attended the game said Covenant continued to make 3-pointers— even in the fourth quarter. She praised the Covenant players but said spectators and an assistant coach were cheering wildly as their team edged closer to 100 points.

Covenant was up 59-0 at halftime.

Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless over the last four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia.

There is no mercy rule in girls basketball that shortens the game or permits the clock to continue running when scores become one-sided. There is, however, "a golden rule" that should have applied in this contest, Edd Burleson, the director of the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools, said last week. Both schools are members of this association, which oversees private school athletics in Texas.

The story has received national attention, and the Dallas Academy team has been recognized for refusing to give up during the lopsided contest.

Favorite Answer

The team they were playing up against was for a school that caters to kids with learning disabilities. Winning is one thing but having compassion is way more important. The fact that the team was still making 3-pointers in the fourth quarter is ridiculous.

As a head coach, of course he wants to teach his team that winning is important. But more importantly he should be teaching them good sportsmanship.

This whole thing is absolutely ridiculous. Should Covenant have allowed the team to score just so that they would feel better? This was a HIGHSCHOOL basketball game. Not an elementary school YMCA soccer game with participation trophies for everyone! Covenant won because they were the best. Dallas Academy lost because they sucked. They shouldn't have signed up to COMPETE if they were gonna sulk when they lost.

First of all, Covenant made a statement saying that their behavior in the basketball game was anything but "Christ-Like." To the best of my knowledge, Jesus never played basketball. The Covenant girls never spit on or cursed at the other team. THAT behavior would be un- christ-like. But winning is definitely NOT an un-Christ-like action. There is such a thing as un-sportsmanlike behavior in basketball. But not un- christ like. These girls played with respect for the other team and they ended up winning. How bad is that? Covenant did not force the other team to come play with them... The other team knew what they were up against and they lost in a fair competition.

Secondly, many people are angry because it was announced on the news that Covenant routed a disabled team. Since when are Dyslexia, ADD, and learning differences disabilities?? If the team is going to cry and claim that they are disabled every time they lose, they shouldn't have a basketball team!

And if they really have dyslexia, how can they tell what the score is anyway.

With that said, they DEFINITELY should not have fired the Covenant coach. They hired him to win, and that is what he did. Maybe in the future, the person responsible for scheduling games should pick teams that offer more competition.

I don't understand why he should have to apologize for something that he is supposed to do. Basketball is a purely competitive sport where you either win or you lose. Morally, you are not allowed to run up the score on your opponent near the end of a game. So maybe the three pointers in that quarter were a bit much. But it's only MORALLY, not an actual rule. In any basketball game blowout, the winning team never apologizes for beating another team to the ground and beyond. There are no apologies in basketball. The only way to make an apology is to make up for a mistake. Other than that, there's no reason this guy should be sorry lol. Cmon seriously.

Source(s): il n'est pas desole.

I think he should have just admitted he made a mistake and apologized. People will say it's a competition and the point is to win. That's true to a certain extent. Yes, the objective of playing the game is to win. But, at the high school level, sports are also intended to promote teamwork and sportmanship. I don't see how winning a game 100-0 while shooting 3's and pressing late into the game can be seen as a positive. Especially against a team of 8 girls (with a class of 20) which represents a school of special needs students.

I'm not saying the team should have simply let the other team score. If they played good solid D and the other team failed to score, that's fine. But, once you are up by about 75-0 or so in the 3rd quarter, I think they could have safely assumed the game was in hand. At that point they could have simply tried to run out the clock. There was no longer a need to jack up 3's in an effort to reach 100 pts (peculiar how they hit 100 exactly). I have played a lot of competitive sports, and I can say I get very little satisfaction out of running up the score on an obviously overmatched team. One of the things I enjoy about competition is the challenge. What kind of challenge was this?

The coach is probably one of those guys that goes to his kids little league games and yells at the umps and starts fights in the stands. Someone needs to tell him to stop trying to vicariously live out his failed aspirations as an athlete through a bunch of high school girls.

• If he was fired b/c he ran the score up, then yes, I would agree with it, but the way it seems to me, and this was pointed out on Pardon The Interruption on ESPN earlier, is that he was fired b/c he spoke up, which is wrong, another person who should be fired is whoever put this game on the schedule, this is a case of a game that should not have happened, but oh well, it happened, you cant make it un-happen. No, I do not think that Dallas Academy should be forced to forfeit this win, but they should say that the coach was not playing the game honorably, nor how it was meant to be played at that level, and if he did leave starters in until 2 minutes to play, he should be fired for running the score up, being honorable, and classy is more important than one win. No, he did not play with integrity or honor, if he did, he would have pulled back on the reigns a little bit.

Being that I am in Dallas by now I am really sick of this story. I think it is tough to fire this guy because he really didn't do anything wrong. He put a team on the floor and their goal was to win. Common sense and basic empathy would not allow most humans to beat a group of disadvantaged kids by 100 points. This coach lacks this empathy. Is this a reason to fire him and make him admit he did something wrong? I don't think so. I think it is the league administrations fault first for allowing these to teams to meet and then not putting some rules in to avoid a situation like this. The league and the school had to find a scapegoat and this coach is the one. I smell a lawsuit over this firing.

• Pamela

Well it's not something to be proud of but he should not have been fired. If everybody that was an a hole was fired for that, I wouldn't have worked in years. I would not have let my team run the score up like that, there's no reason for it.

Ok, it is true he could have had some compassion. When the game was well underhand he should have put in his second string. But, this is a game, and his team won. Get over it!! if you can't take a loss, don't play! This is a competition after all! Sad what this country is coming to when people are forced to apologize for winning.

He shouldn't be fired at all. Im so sick of crap like this. If you only have 20 kids in the whole school why even have a team? You haven't won in 4 years. Every time you go out to play you risk losing and if you get your asses kicked don't cry about it. This country is turning into complete ******* you cant say or do anything without hurting someone elses feelings, its bullshit.

I think he was "chasing" the 100-0 score. I heard he left starters in until two minutes left in the game. That is where I have a problem with it.

A good argument could be made that these two teams shouldn't have been allowed to compete against each other to begin with.