Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

How would you answer the following Oxford philosophy exam question:- "Is this a good question?"?

What would the examiners have been after with such an exam?

Another classic Oxford exam question (which was only for the very brightest at the university): "Integrity". That's it!

Favorite Answer

That one where the question was simply "Why?"

I think that was a Harvard application essay question

The story is that some guy wrote for his essay simply "Why not?" and was accepted.

As for this Oxford question, I really like the response "Is this a good answer?" haha

I would probably say yes because it requires the responder to think in a way they're not used to

Have no idea what the examiners would be looking for but could write loads about both, to do either justice is way beyond the scope of a quick answer.

Did loads of work with a personal development organisation that places a strong value on integrity. There brand of personal development is very much based on ontology...ones experience of life and the mandate of those days was that integrity is the foundation of a powerful life.

Much of what was taught was that integrity could be used almost like a measuring stick, the question being am I in integrity here ? Of course the realisation was that one could never be in integrity in all areas of life and this is ok as long as one is happy with that. Problems arose when others used their version of integrity to judge others and make them wrong. So integrity in this sense is relative.

There where whole courses based on integrity and I've scratched the surface of this subject just for ontology only !!!!

Be interested if you have any references to study the integrity question.

Source(s): Email me if you to know the personal development organisation
  • ?

When my dad was in college he sat down for a test. The directions said to read all the questions before begining the test. My dad already had the habit of reading through his tests and did it for this one too. The very last question said to write your name on the top of the first page, turn it in and you will get an "A". He did this and walked out of the room while everybody else continued taking the test. This is a true story, not made up or myth. I wish I could have a professor like that.

Ah man, I'm so glad I study philosophy in France. I like their method better.

What had you been studying this semester to get this question/topic? I mean, it was related to one of your courses... which one.

I agree that it is pretentious and I just wonder what class is that for? Here in France we divide things up. They ask a question that you have to analyse, but it is always related to a subject, epistemology, metaphysics, etc.

What you have there seems useless.

Well, I wouldn't say it's a great question, but there is no such thing as a stupid question. Every question is important and valuable to some sort of learning.

This question makes you think.

Thinking stimulates knowledge and understanding.

Which is very valuable.

So yes, it is a good question.

I heard about a similar philosophy final (maybe it was Oxford, not sure) but the final was simply "Why?"

"Is this a good question?" I'd say that although grammatically correct, that's not a question but a parody of one.

And that "Integrity" is the sublimest thing in nature, if applied to independence. (--Buckminster.)

No,this is not a good question at all! It's pretentious and pseudo-philosophical! lol.

Can anything travel faster than light?

I'd say "No! This is not a good question..."

Why? (you might ask?)

"Because I damn well said so, THAT'S why..."