What are good and bad points about living in Cape Town, South Africa?
I'd like to move there but i want to know a little more about what to expect and what sort of things I can do...
- SkyliLv 51 decade agoFavorite Answer
Well living in CT would be like living in any large city. You have a wide range of activities to do and the communities are multi-culture.
CT is the third biggest city in South Africa after Johannesburg and Durban
This may help you:
1. Beautiful scenery and attractions, mountains, winelands and sandy beaches.
2. Lifestyle is outdoors oriented, great for walkers, hikers and surfers.
3. Mild Mediterranean climate with blue skies and lots of sunshine, however it can get pretty cold in winter with lots of wind down by the beach.
4. Going out is affordable and there are many restaurants.
5. The cost of living can vary depending where in Cape Town you settle. If you live close to the beach and more to the Western Cape properties can get more expensive. However, there are great housing options (swimming pool, big gardens, sea view etc.)
6. Big potential for business expansions in the emerging markets
7. Due to European influence the business customs and etiquette are similar.
8. First class health care in the private sector.
9. Good school options for the kids.
10. Also most South Africans are open, very caring and welcoming.
However, that may all sound great but you also have to look into the crime side of things. Cape Town Crime Statistics may not be as bad as JHB, but they are still relatively high and each area varies. Cape Town is more commonly know for it’s hijackings and theft in the crime sector.
Look at this to help:
Hope that helped!
- Anonymous3 years ago
Johannesburg is the next biggest town in Africa, with an increase of than 3 million people contacting this hectic town home and if you wish to visit that extraordinary town then that hotelbye is the area to start. Johannesburg presents visitors an event as unique and diverse as the town itself. If you are on business, looking for a cultural experience, an adrenaline run or simply just desire to relax and rest for some days, the town of Johannesburg has everything you're looking for and more! In Johannesburg you are able to go to the Soweto (an abbreviation for South-western Townships) at 20 kilometres southwest of Johannesburg. This place presents visitors a journey to the heart of the battle for freedom and the birthplace of the struggle for democracy.
- Anonymous1 decade ago
Cape Town is a great place to live.
The lifestyle is amazing. Beaches, restaurants, sunshine, mountain walks, exciting nightlife, so much to see and do. Relatively low cost of living. This website has some good information http://www.cometocapetown.comSource(s): http://www.cometocapetown.com
- CerberusLv 61 decade ago
I would say that Cape Town is definitely the nicest city in South Africa, the municipality is well run, it's clean, the scenery is beautiful, you could say that it's a world class city. Another advantage is that it's the only large city in SA where you aren't outnumbered by black people 100 to 1 or more.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- blondieLv 61 decade ago
I agree with Mr D about Cape Town. I lived and worked there for over 20 years and loved every minute. However, during the last three years there (up to 2005) I was mugged 5 times in the CBD, losing my handbags, jewellry etc.. I left to live in the UK as I was an elderly white woman living on my own, and a popular "target" for muggers and burglars.
Skyli has it spot on!
- Mr DLv 41 decade ago
Living in Cape Town is pretty much like living in any large city. Life is pretty laid back.
Cape Town is also still very segregated which means that you can choose what race you would like to live with, some suburbs will be predominatly white while others will be coloured, or moslem or black.
Another positive is the fact that CT is the only metropolitan municipality not controlled by the ANC.
- JKLv 41 decade ago
GOOD POINTS: Table Mountain
BAD POINTS: Capetonians
- onetimeLv 61 decade ago
There is only one good point: the fact that there are no bad points.Source(s): ;)
- Anonymous1 decade ago
It has the highest per capita crime rate in South Africa and is full of drug dealers and other scum. Good points ? Cant think of any.