Is linux operating system user friendly?

I've got a few questions in fact..

1. Is it user friendly?

2. Is it well secured?

3. Does it have a simple installation or a lot of DOS kinda command installation process?

4. Can it play all applications and games?

5. If not linux then which is the other free operating system which is good?

6. Can i make an image file and run the installation in daemon tools or do i need to burn it on the CD? I dont have a writer...

Update:

Thank you everyone for your valuable suggestions. I am very much convinced that linux is worth a try. Thank you for suggesting wubi as it is user friendly. Got a little confused here to select the best answer! I wish i could choose most of the answers as best answers! Thank you again.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Here are my answers to your questions.... I hope they help.

1. Is it user friendly?

A: I would say yes, depends on what you want to do with it.

2. Is it well secured?

A: Yes, because viruses that are out for windows can't run on linux.

3. Does it have a simple installation or a lot of DOS kinda command installation process?

A: That depends on what destribution you want, Ubuntu is very easy to install.

4. Can it play all applications and games? By "all", do you mean all that will play on Windows?

A: no not all, it has it's own games that are like the win versions that you can download and install (no commands). It also with about 10 preinstalled games.

5. If not linux then which is the other free operating system which is good?

A: There isn't another OS for free other than Linux, well that I know of.

6. Can i make an image file and run the installation in daemon tools or do i need to burn it on the CD?I dont have a writer...

A: Download a software called wubi, it will download and install it for you inside of windows. Get it here... http://wubi-installer.org/

• 1 decade ago

Linux is more a kernel than an operating system. There are many Linux-based operating systems, ranging from extremely user-friendly (Ubuntu, Mandriva) to extremely hardcore experts-only (Slackware, Gentoo).

I personally use Ubuntu, so I'll answer your questions with regard to that, but note that the answers may differ with other Linux-based operating systems.

1) Yes, it's very user friendly. The only thing that makes it difficult for some people is that you have to forget many of the things you thought you knew from Windows. People who have never used a computer before often have an easier time with it than people who have used Windows for many years.

example: I spent the longest time trying to figure out how to download and install programs, browsing the web for installer programs and whatnot. I felt pretty stupid when I realized that in Ubuntu "Add/Remove Programs" actually means "ADD OR remove programs", not just remove.

2) Yes, it's extremely secure. It comes with a built in firewall and other security measures, and is completely immune to viruses, adware, spyware, and all that junk.

3) Ubuntu's installation is graphical, and easier than Windows installation.

4) No. It can play all Linux applications and games. Windows applications and games are hit and miss. There are, however, alternatives to the vast majority of Windows programs, many of which are just as good if not better, and are compatible with the Windows equivalents.

Whatever you want to do, there's usually a very good program to do it, with one exception: games. A few major games are released for Linux (ie Unreal Tournament, Doom and Quake series) but the vast majority of Windows games cannot run on Linux.

5) There's also FreeBSD and OpenSolaris, but for beginners I'd recommend sticking to Linux-based operating systems like Ubuntu, Mandriva, OpenSUSE and Fedora.

6) I wouldn't recommend running it in daemon tools. You could try booting it off a flash drive, or you could order a CD for just the price of shipping and handling. You could also just install it from within Windows if you like, though this may not be ideal.

It's not for everyone, but I think it's worth a look to see if you like it. One of the really cool things about Ubuntu is you can try it out right off the CD, before you install it. Give it a shot and see what you think.

http://www.ubuntu.com

• 1 decade ago

I think the other responders have answered your questions, I want to let you know about a new super easy way to install Ubuntu. See the link below. You do not have to burn a cd. You simply download a file called wubi (Windows UBuntu Installer) and run it. It will download the ubuntu system and install it on your system. If you want to remove it you use windows Add Remove feature to completely remove it. Be sure to read the FAQ.

The second link is where you donwload wubi.

The third and fourth links will help you do things in ubuntu. The way you get something done in linux is not the same as in windows so to have a pleasant experience it is necessary to read the tutorials and instructions.

Have fun

• 1 decade ago

1- systems with gnome desktop are especially user friendly (i.e. Ubuntu).

2- Supposedly yes.

3- Depends on your computer model. Some computers work instantly others need drivers, etc. You can use a "live CD" to test your computer without installing linux.

4- Nope, only applications for linux. You can use some applications with a windows emulator called "wine", but it's slow and doesn't work very well. Linux is a terrible choice for gamers.

5- Linux.

6- I don't know!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes it is user friendly if you know how to use it. Linux is a office use OS only.

Its not so much secured as WIN. You can have some linux antivirus to secure it.

Linux does not use DOS. And also it can have complicated installations depending on the software.

No. Linux does not support Windows/Mac games and apps. However, you can use CrossOver software to run some windows based games in linux. Go to http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxlinux/ to get the Software.

Try XP or Vista. Forget about free as keys are available in the internet

Do not know if Linux CD works with Daemon Tools. Actually, all OS CDs are bootable disks which enable you to install without starting the system.

Hope this helps

Go to this link

http://www.itreviews.co.uk/software/s113g.htm

to get linux review

• 1 decade ago

1. Yes, windows based linux versions are also available

2. No virus can attack linux.

3. Installation is easy but its windows based version is packed in about 3 CD's

4. No. The application should be compatible with linux.

6. Without writer you can't write files.

• 1 decade ago

1., 2., & 3. FreeSpire Linux is yes, yes and dead simple.

4. "Can it play all applications and games?"

No, only Linux apps and Games. If you're a Windows gamer,

there's no need to answer your other questions, Linux is NOT for you.

5. The same goes for other OSes.

6. Burn FreeSpire to a CD on a friend's PC, problem solved.

• Wes M
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

1. Sort of. Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/ ) is pretty straightforward, though you'll need to download some drivers and codecs to get everything rolling due to some legal issues. Dreamlinux (http://www.dreamlinux.com.br/ ) is like Ubuntu's sexy cousin, though I can't say how easy it is or isn't to install since I have yet to try it. Just do a little googling if you get stuck, though you really only run into major issues with more complicated distros like Gentoo.

2. Absolutely. Linux and OS X are both secure in that there aren't nearly as many security threats to deal with compared to Windows. OS X has 0 viruses and 2 or 3 Trojans (trojans need to be installed by the user; viruses don't). Linux only has a couple of Trojans and a short list of viruses, though most of them are don't affect newer versions of Linux, and some are just research experiments (like this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bliss_(virus) ).

The main reason OS X and Linux are so secure is that normal users can only modify their user folder, and aren't given access to the entire system by default. Only administrators can modify most system files, and with some of the more important ones, you need to elevate to root access to modify them. The system also needs the user's permission before installing anything, which it gets by asking for your user name and password. This sounds annoying but you grow to like it, and it makes it pretty much impossible for any malicious software to be installed without you knowing about it.

The only thing it doesn't protect you against is yourself, so be careful about what you install. Ubuntu comes with a built-in software finder/browser, so whenever you want to download a new app, you can just use that to find and download it. This way you don't have to worry about Trojans being embedded in an application you think is clean. The same is true for OS X, but you just go to Apple's website for the list of applications they've checked out and know to be ok.

3. Yes. Download ImgBurn, then download the ISO file for your distro of choice, then burn using ImgBurn. Boot to the CD. If you want to dual-boot Windows and Linux, that can be kind of tricky, but it's doable (google it). If not, just let the Ubuntu installer do its thing (or follow the DreamLinux install guide on their website, in the Documentation section). It's pretty much the same as installing Windows nowadays.

4. No. It won't run Windows applications or Windows games (though there are a number of projects like Wine, Crossover, and Crossover games trying to fix that). There are plenty of Linux equivalents, though - OpenOffice to replace MS Office, VLC or Songbird to replace Windows Media Player or iTunes, etc. There are free games you can download, too, and plenty of emulators for playing older console games, but compared to Windows PC gaming is sorely lacking in Linux.

5. FreeBSD, OpenSolaris, Darwin (the open-source parts of OS X). They're all far more obscure than Linux, though, so good luck finding all the appropriate drivers for your hardware, finding all the apps you need, etc. Plus gaming is pretty much out of the question.

6. No. You can't install an operating system while inside of another operating system. Just go buy an optical drive and install it. They only cost about $20 these days and it takes less than a minute to install. If for some reason there's no way to install one inside your PC, buy an external one and plug it into a USB port.

You can run both Ubuntu and DreamLinux from a flash drive, but installation is a little complicated, and it'll run pretty slow. Plus I find the LiveUSB versions to be too limited and stripped-down to be used as a general-purpose OS. It's a nice way to try out a new operating system without getting rid of your current one, though, and there's the added bonus of being able to take it with you. It's really up to you which way you want to go.

• 1 decade ago

It is supposed to be user friendly. However, unless you use it, you will not be able to tell.

Rita

• 1 decade ago

It has all the applications but yest not largly used by the people

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.