help with my first hunting rifle.?

I am a hand gun nut and i want to get a rifle for plinking and hunting. I have shot 30-30. and 7.62x39. I have read balistics charts and studied online hunting forums. I want a medium caliber rifle that will be good for elk. at about 200yds range.( I would also like something i can take a super long range sniper shot with just for fun.) I have an academy sports store where i live and they have some of the best prices I have seen. please help. here is the lin to see what academy offers.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&targ...

Best Answer

Well, in short... I would go with a solid bolt action. That means a savage, or better yet, a remington 700. I love my lever actions, but they are more of brush guns rather than long range nail drivers. The as far as caliber, I would say .270 is the smallest I would use on elk, and even then thats iffy. Go with a solid cartridge in the .30 line instead. .308 or .30-06 or both wonderful. Between the 2 would be personal preference. .308 is a bit more accurate, and if this is going to be a mostly range gun, then you wont have any problem with shots up to 600+ yards. Cheap(ish) surplus ammo can be found sometimes also. If this is going to be a primary hunting gun, then a .30-06 is the way to go, the reason being there is a whole range of different weights and loading so you can take everything from deer to bear.

Bigger rounds like .300 win mag, 7mm rem mag and higher are also great choices, but they are a bit more expensive to shoot, and take a harder toll on your shoulder. The benefit of these rounds is that they hit much harder at longer distances, so if you feel the only shots yours going to be able to take are going to be in the 400+yard range, then maybe this is the way to go,

• Donna

I do both as well, but prefer bow hunting. In the state where I do most of my deer hunting (ND) you get a longer season for archery. I will admit I am usually more successful while rifle hunting. The last time I was home for the rifle season I shot 4 deer vs usually only 1 or 2 deer a season with my bow. That isn't due to missing or anything just the fact that you have a lot more range with a rifle. That and I pass on a lot of deer with my bow, but with rifle we normally shoot any deer that meats the requirements. I still prefer archery hunting. If you plan on hunting this season you should get started soon. If you choose archery then you need to practice a lot and your running out of time before the season starts.

30 o 6

Hard to beat a good 30-06 or .270 for your stated purpose. For shots to 200 yards I would recommend a bolt action, with a good scope 3-9 power, or fixed 6 power. The Remington 700 would be the best rifle shown on the add you attached. I have not shot the Mosberg 4x4. Look for someone that carries Savage. Their rifles are a good value, and VERY accurate.

a .308 or 30/06 would prolly be a good choice for a first time rifle user, kick is fairly moderate, decent accuracy from about 200-250 yards, and should have no problems taking a elk down. Its a fairly popular rifle, and you can gain some confidence to move up to some of the more big boy rifles.

• Coasty

I live in Southern NM and have a piece of land in the Sacramento Mountains that borders on Lincoln National forest an all sides but one. About half a mile north of me is the Mescalero Apache Reservation. Meaning I live with elk darn near year round. They are large animals who do not go down easily. I mostly hunt with a .243 but when I have to put down wounded animals (3-5 times a year) I use a Austrian Mauser in 8mm.

I am not saying you are this kind of hunter but I deal with two problems:

Problem #1 Freaking idiots who go hunting something that has no authority. (not a one shot one kill weapon) This falls into two kinds of problems. Bow Hunters and small caliber rifles. Any slug under .30 and moving at fairly high velocity just does not have energy to kill an Elk cleanly.

Problem #2 GD fools who carry an antiaircraft gun to shoot an animal.

I can not say how many times I have found elk shot through and no clean kill. You do not need a weapon that throws a .30 cal slug at four times the speed of sound half way across the country to kill an Elk.( I know I am using a little exaggeration here)

For both groups what is needed is "Gun Control" My Way. Knowing where to put your shot and shooting enough year round to put it there reliably every time. If you do not shoot enough to stay good year round leave your guns and bows home. My wife makes pets of the Elk and deer around here. The Apache are terrified of her because of her ways with animals. One of the big elk bulls she has been hand feeding off the porch showed up over Christmas with an Arrow stuck in right ham and it was badly infected. Game warden said to put it down. Now my wife is PO'ed at me cause some damn fool could not do the job correctly. Elk are big tough animals and if you do not kill them cleanly they may suffer for days.

Oh calibers recommended by myself is .30-06, 7mm-08, 8mm .308 .303. For me my 8mm works well. It is an Austrian Mauser K-98 with a good 6x scope. Accurate out to 500 yards and has authority to kill any animal in the lower 48 with no problem.

Please note that it also works well in the NRA long range competitions near Cimmaron and Raton Pass.

Source(s): Benefactor/Life NRA 5 years Fed LEO 9 years US Military 48 years shooting 10 years Home Defense Consultant

I am a long time military competition shooter, Certified Alaskan Hunter Safety Instructor and long time Alaskan hunter and trapper.

Elk are very similar to moose - a big dense sectioned animal. Much harder to drop with one good shot than deer, caribou or other game animals.

Elk travel in herds and groups, they are not going to let you get within 200 yards easily....... and the one you want will be in the lead or close to the lead - not the young or cows easily found toward the end.

You shoot shoot/injure an animal with an insuficient caliber and it runs into the hills 20 miles for days - you are expected to give chase and finish the job - no matter how long it takes or how inconvient. Or face huge fines and prison terms for 'want and waste' violations. One of the reasons hunters can keep the anti hunters at bay is we enforce these laws.

The guy who recommended the sks is totally out to lunch. That isn't going to drop and elk resonably well.

You are looking at a belted magnum rifle for elk. 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag etc etc. This will increase you range to 400+ yards and get a clean kill if you have the marksmanship skills. That said, a belted magnum rifle is not the rifle you want to practice and learn on - it will beat you to pieces. It will beat bad habbits into you. You need a smaller center fire rifle to learn long range shoting skills like reading the wind and judging elevation, along with trigger and breathing control. 243, 308, even a 223 will do fine.

A belted magnum is never going to be a favorite gun to spend long hours at the range with. 3 or 4 rounds per range visit is all you want to shoot - since it will be the first shots of the day that will take your game animal.

And don't use the word sniper. You are not a sniper. Normal people don't talk about making a 'Surgical Incesion' when cutting their steak dinner - unless they are a Surgeon. Talking about sniper shots makes you sound like a 8 year old kid. Not the kind of impression you want to make.

Hope this helps

Your choice should be one of those in 30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag out of the bunch offered at Academy. My personal preference would be the Remington 700, of which I own more than any other model, and my little brother's 700 in 30-06 has held him in good stead for forty years. But that's just personal preference, and if you want one of the less expensive ones, that's fine.

I gave a thumbs up to Glacierwolf for his comment on the sniper thing. We don't need that kind of childishness in the shooting sports. It's a real gun with a real purpose, and you aren't a sniper.

The choices in rifles for what you would like to hunt is limitless. Keep it simple and check out the Remington 7600 30-06. They handle rounds from 150 grain to 220 grain and can be used for all medium to large game species. Field and Stream just listed the top rifles of all time and the 7600 was on the top of the list. I have had one for years and absolutely love it! Good Luck!

Source(s): Hunter 41 yrs.

Best bang for the buck is the Mossberg 100 Rifle in either a .308 or a 30-06. Most guns sold in the US are roughly comparible for their class. I notice all on the list you linked to are bolt action rifles. If you want a scope, you can get it attached at the store you buy it and the rifle.