Concert Laughs & between song banter ?

2-part question:

Sometimes when bands chat to the audience between songs, it can charming or funny anecdotes about the history of the band or the songs.

Can you think of shows when you've experienced this?

Who was it & what'd they say?

& also, have you ever gone to a show & you'd spot a concert-goer (or a few) who was more entertaining than the band?

I went to my 1st 50s doo wop show last night & there was this guy who looked a LOT like Bo Diddley. The black hat, black leather pants..everything but the rectangular guitar! He was a character.

Bo- my fellow concert goer :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6...

Update:

Magic- I was *supposed* to see that line-up this past Aug., but my buddy screwed up getting tix. You Lucky devil! :)

Huevo! Good seeing you too, man. I swear, you see & know some interesting sounding bands. I want *your* music collection, dammit.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

at the elephant 6 concert i went to (which i talk about a lot on here) they tried to tell lots of jokes, and they showed a really funny short film about the solar system

one of the jokes was:

there were these two hydrogen atoms sitting in a bar, and they were getting pretty wasted. Pretty soon they had to leave but then all of the sudden one of the atoms turned to the other and said "i think we have to go back, I may have left my electron in there"

the other one asked "are you sure"

and he said "i'm positive"

another one was about this kid's small salamander and the punchline was "it's my newt (minute)"

• Huevo
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

The one that particularly stands out to me is Grant Lee Phillips, formerly of Grant Lee Buffalo. The man was truly an entertainer and the show had to be one of the best I have ever experienced. Often during the set, he'd tell 3 to 4 minute stories to the audience about some of his previous experiences on the road that just made you want to hear more. It was almost like a real-life version of the old VH1 show Storytellers. The other cool part of the show was that David Lovering, formerly the drummer for The Pixies, opened up the night performing odd scientific experiments on stage. Of course, he interacted strongly with the crowd as well which had to be about only 300 people. Two great performers, one great night.

Good to see you Fonzie, hope all's well in your world.

Oh yes, and for the second part. There's been plenty of characters but the one that really took the cake was last summer at a Reverend Horton Heat show. My buddy and I were near the stage on the left side when I feel a tap on my shoulder. Turning around, some lady definitely over the limit, looked at me, did a double take, and asked me if I was the one who ordered the shot of gin. Not being in the mood for one, I asked my friend who looked at her and promptly said "Yeah, that was me", grabbed it from her and downed it, handing back the empty glass. She just shrugged, then turned around and walked back to the bar while we both had a good laugh.

Hey Fonzie, I'm more than happy to spread the word!!

• 1 decade ago

Oh I love that part of the concert, almost as much as the music.

I saw Journey - Heart - and Cheap Trick in September, and Ann Wilson was a delight. She had a nice long chat about how much she loves Cleveland and how they WILL return for their final tour. She just seemed so sincere and treated a crowd of thousands like her close friends.

At that same concert, there was this woman who was so incredibly drunk, that I don't know if she will even remember being there. The worst part of it was, it had rained the night before so the lawn seating was incredibly slippery, especially on the hill where I was. This lady, between taking a drink and dancing to Only The Young, caught a big patch of mud and fell harder than anyone I've seen in a long time. Instead of being embarrased and jumping up, she continued to sing and dance from her back. She was a good sport.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I went to see the Smashing Pumpkins and between sets, Billy Corgan started ranting about how f*cked up the world is and everything. It was pretty great.

I've been to shows with plenty of interesting characters, but the band's always way more entertaining... Actually, I saw the Presidents Of The United States Of America, and there was this morbidly obese woman directly in front of me, shaking every part of her body imaginable. It was like a horrible car wreck... Disgusting, but somehow perversely fascinating.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

iv had fairly banter on right here yet some in basic terms dont understand the kind I genuinely have some relaxing at anybody's fee and assume an identical yet while im noted as a boy and gets decrease back to my pram i in basic terms laff and each and all of the others thats been stated i'm under no circumstances nasty! helping your team who ever that's ,is tribalistic, the banter is individual, the way you're taking it is your individual selection! btw i do intense questions besides!

• 1 decade ago

When i went to see The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus,

The support band Kill The Arcade started talking to the crowd about GTA IV and i ended up explaining to the lead singer how far in the game i was and how to beat a mission he was on,

It was so funny.

• Genie
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Phil Collins was good at this.

So was Peter Wolf of the J. Geils Band

• 1 decade ago

I went to a Maroon 5 concert, and they did that, but I don't remember what they said.

If you look on youtube, the WHo talk to the audience a bunch and they're funny, so Idk.

• 1 decade ago

ian Anderson of Jethro Tull does this al the time and tells stories , i could listen to him all day.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.