Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

What does "1 John 1:9" mean to you?

This Bible verse is extremely powerful, Inspiring and life changing.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

"If we say openly that we have done wrong, he is upright and true to his word, giving us forgiveness of sins and making us clean from all evil"

1 John 1:9

All sin is against God, when I admit sin (agree with God), confess, He forgives me. Without confession there is no forgiveness of sin. He doesn't beat me up over my sin, but forgives when I admit it, and His blood cleanses me from all unrighteousness, and that it ultimately removes even the stain of sin..

—Barnes' Notes on the New Testament:

"we may have the fullest assurance that God is ready to pardon us if we exercise true repentance and faith. No one can come to God without finding him ready to do all that is appropriate for a God to do in pardoning transgressors; no one who will not, in fact, receive forgiveness if he repents, and believes, and makes confession; no one who will not find that God is just to his Son in the covenant of redemption, in pardoning and saving all who put their trust in the merits of his sacrifice"

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

A Christian who has sinned against God’s law needs forgiveness. Who can extend that? In actuality, only God. The apostle John wrote: “If we confess our sins [to God], he is faithful and righteous so as to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”—1 John 1:9; 2:1.

In the case of grave sin, God wisely advises that a Christian ‘confessing his sins’ ought to take an additional step. In a context that evidently refers to spiritual sickness involving “sins,” the disciple James wrote: “Is there anyone sick among you? Let him call the older men [or, elders] of the congregation to him, and let them pray over him, . . . And the prayer of faith will make the indisposed one well, and Jehovah will raise him up. Also, if he has committed sins, it will be forgiven him.”—Jas. 5:14-16.

• 1 decade ago

Confession (admitting that we are sinners) is essential to salvation. Not confessing is equal to saying that we have not sinned. Saying that we haven't sinned is either self-deception or calling God a liar. Both conditions have tragic consequences.

• 1 decade ago

Just a little advice, you will always get more answers if you post the scripture .

The one who says he is in the light and yet hates his brother is in the darkness still .

It is a wonderful verse . But we should never mistake disagreement for hate , or agreement for love .

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well, one thing it means is that God has mercy on the humble. Being humble means to admit who you really are, a sinner. Unfortunately, it's only life changing if you believe it, not if you just read it, but you sound like you already know this.

• 1 decade ago

taken in context with the rest of the N/T, "Matthew 16: 17-19. it means confession.

• It means if we admit our sins to Christ, He will forgive us, love us and save us.

• 1 decade ago

its more of the same "confess your sins and all is well" b.s. that is written all through the bible..life changing? not really....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.