Question about the movie "Cast away" with Tom Hanks?

What exactly did "Wilson" (the ball) represent in this movie ?

1. The fears of a human being

2. The longed freedom of any human being

3. The longed mistress

4. Or what ?

Cel !! ROFLMAO ! As usual, your directness and empathy astonished me !

Grazie Ivanino !

Favorite Answer

4. Wilson represented the deep, pure love of a very hirsute and smelly man and his lonely, sad, sunburned testicles.

Wilson was a symbol of man's determination to overcome hardship and adversity in order to get laid again.

Ok...Here's the thing.

Hanks wanted soooo much cash to do the movie, they had to economise on the little extras.

No set, no cast and no love interest.

The budget was so tight that in the second last scene on the 'island' (a pile of dirt in a puddle in the back carpark at Warners),,,,if you watch carefully, the waves (billed by the hour) suddenly shut down and a seagull is seen to get grabbed in a net and whisked off back to the 'rent a birdie dept'

And Wilson?....Well, before Tom baby swallowed the entire film budget they tried for Brook Shields as the love interest, but have you SEEN her lately??

GAAAGH !!! He (like me) would have taken one look, leapt into the sea and swam home.

So someone in the crew spent the entire remaining budget on morning tea.

A coconut.

When the director told him a coconut was all they could afford as a love interest unless he handed back some cash Tom said...

"Hey,...what do you want?....Blood ???"

.

• Donna

There are so many impossibilities in that movie, that I might classify it as a fantasy. But seriously, it's a drama. If you want a comedy with Tom Hanks, get Catch Me if You Can. Not laughs beginning to end, but a very good movie.

There had to be something for Tom Hanks to talk to because the movie would have been boring if the was no Dialogue. It also gave an impression of his loneliness and desperation to interact with something that was going through the same circumstances as he was, even if it was an inanimate object.

Or, It could have represented that he was a thief that steals birthday gifts form children.

I thought Wilson was the star of th movie. Hanks' movies are soooo long and drawn out. As I watched, I thought, "This movie has to get better", but alas, more ennui. The Green Mile is on Fox next month, and for a fleeting moment I thought that I might like to see it again, but I think I will be cutting my toenails that day.

I think "Wilson" represented a "known" presence that kept Hanks' character sane throughout his ordeal. On a more sexual note, he could have named the ball after his wife or an ex girlfriend...but NOOOOOOOO. I think he was expressing his homosexuality. We don't know what he did with this Wilson character behind closed trees. Now, do we?

If you remember Hanks cut his finger or hand whatever... but he made a face with his own blood. A face he could call a friend that he could talk to. A face he could hold onto as a friend. He held onto Wilson as a friend. so it was 4..Wilson helped Hanks hold on to what santity he had left.

• Ciao Clo,

bella domanda.

Allora secondo me rappresenta l'amico/a immaginario

che ognuno di noi quando era bambino/a aveva.

Siccome Tom Hanks erano quasi 4 anni che era da solo

in quell'isola, era come se gli fossero tornate le paure o le gioie di quand'era bambino. Perchè la solitudine devasta lo spirito umano e lui, con quel pallone chiamato Wilson, cercava di avere una specie di compagnia e trovare quindi un senso se si trovava ancora in quell'isola.

Ciao e un abbraccio.

a means of retaining ones sanity, by substituting a soccer ball for a a human. I sometimes "talk my " way through tough situations to maintain my line of thought and not get side tracked

I confess that I never saw this movie, which puts me in the enviable position of offering an unbiased opinion! lol

I think it represents man's innate need for athletic equipment.

(Sorry I couldn't do better, Clo!)