Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

How often should you wash a dog?

Hey there,

i was wondering, how often should you wash your dog ?

Are you suppose to wash it with shampoo or just simply wash it with water ?

Please help...

Many thanks.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If you wash a dog too often it will take the natural skin oils and make the dog have dry, itchy skin and will have bold spots.

Doggy shampoo/conditioner is the best.

Never too often.

Always use some sort of shampoo.

I sometimes use baby shampoo/ con. Because my 13 year old lab has skin issues and ios sensitive.

Id say dont give a dog a bath unless he/she REALLY stinks, or is dirty.

If you just wash with water, your dog will stink REALLY bad!

If you can not scare you dog, use a hair dryer on cool.

Also if you have a fat/ wrinkle dog, make sure you dry the creases of fat/rolls too!

Have fun!!!

Source(s): groomer/i have 6 dogs!!!
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Depends on the breed.

Did you know the more you wash a dog the more it smells? This is because you strip the natural oils from the coat. I have a lab, he swims alot but I never ever stick any type of shampoo on him, not even dog shampoos and definately not baby ones. Listerine diluted in water helps if they have rolled in something nasty but plain old water normally does the trick

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

well it depends really on how good your dog is in the bath. Loads of dogs cant stand bathing- which means they can only be washed a couple of times a year... but dogs that are good in the bath can be washed whenever really. If you've just for instance taking your dog for a walk and its got dirty/ muddy it might just be best to spray it with a hose (try to avoid this in the winter for obvious reasons), but from time to time you should tyr and give your dog a wash in tepid/ warm water and use a dog shampoo.

If your dog is long haried than it may need bathing more than a short-haired.

• 1 decade ago

you should give your dog a bath every three days with shampoo. Always wash with shampoo as dogs have this insane idea of walking over their pee after they finish peeing so always shampoo the whole dog and rub hard on the feet.

Good luck =)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

You should bath your dog with proper dog shampoo that you can buy at the pet shop. You shouldn't bath them too often as it washes away their natural oils. I would say just bath them every couple of months or when they really start to smell and obviously if they have been rolling in mud or anything. You can also buy pet wipes now similar to wet wipes so you can freshen them up.

• 1 decade ago

Wash them with shampoo. It depends on what type of dog you have. Big dogs don't need to be washed as often (but still washed). I'd say about every other week for a small/medium dog, and every 2-3 weeks for a big dog.

• 1 decade ago

hey, well shampoo isn't very good for their skin, no matter what the bottle says!!

Dog shampoo or any shampoo shouldn't be used regualary. You should use shampoo on them 1-3 times a year. But you can put the hose on them if they com back muddy, of course.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No more than once a month using a pet shampoo only. If you need to just a touch-up, you can rinse feet or face with water only. Or use a waterless shampoo or pet/baby wipes for quick cleaning.

Source(s): 30yr of grooming
  • I only bath my dog when she becomes very dirty,because if you bath them to often it can become very bad for their coats and create problems with dry skin.when washing my dog i use special dog shampoo according to their coat type you can get lots on the market but if you don't know which one to use go for a plain purfume free one, but never use human shampoo because that could cause skin problems.

• 4 years ago

Every 6-8 weeks is good, unless you have a roller. That is a dog that Loves to roll in stinky things. Brushing daily in between baths.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.