yes, this is pathetic, but ...?

I need a phone line ONLY fior use of home dial up- but got rid of land line service 3 yrs ago. In chatting on Friday with a verizon rep online- you don't need a land line telephone # to have internet service since i already have the phone jacks, they activate internet from their end-- MY question is now- if I get free dial up still at home (which is all I need currently for home and it's free) from the university where I work (they give you a CD to install) WHAT do I ask Verizon and WILL they do this without me gettng an actual land line phone # again?

what is dry loop DSL? I think this may be what I need- I have heard this mentioned now a couple times...can anyone explain???

I forgot to add that the university where I work still allows its employees to have free dial up service with a CD they sned you per your request...so am I stuck since I got rid of my land line and do I just need to order basic internet service through Verizon (who can activate my phone line since I have the jacks at home and had prior service) I also have verizon wireless.

Favorite Answer

In regular DSL, a cable runs from the telephone switch to a piece of equipment called a Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS) splitter. This splitter separates the DSL and voice bands. Thus the customer will have a dial tone, which allows them to use the telephone line as a regular land line while they are using it to access the Internet on their computer. A cable carrying both services runs from the splitter to the cable head, where it continues on to the customer on outside plant. )

In naked DSL(Dry Loop) , there is no cable from the telephone switch to the POTS splitter. Thus there is no dial tone on the line. However, the customer could still use the line for regular telephone service through Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) or a Competitive Local Exchange Carrier (CLEC) instead of the Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier (ILEC).