Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

Why did Obama repeat the same "wrong" sentence in the oath afterwards?

The Transcript here:

ROBERTS: I, Barack Hussein Obama...

OBAMA: I, Barack...

ROBERTS: ... do solemnly swear...

OBAMA: I, Barack Hussein Obama, do solemnly swear...

ROBERTS: ... that I will execute the office of president to the United States faithfully...

OBAMA: ... that I will execute...

ROBERTS: ... faithfully the office of president of the United States...

OBAMA: ... the office of president of the United States faithfully...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So in the sentence number 5 Roberts screwed up by misplacing "faithfully". So Obama had to pause and wait for him to correct his mistake. But Robert screws up even more. So obama in the last line (see last line in the above transcript) says it on his own but it is similar to what Robert says first, which is a mistake and which is why obama had to pause. So, obama doesn't correct the sentence after all. He repeats the flubbed sentence. Why?

Bethany, where did Obama say the right phrase. See the transcript. He repeated the flubbed phrase with "faithfully" still misplaced.

Favorite Answer

He waas being polite.

Would you follow his example, please?

• A.M

That was a big stumble. President Obama has already been sworn in twice within days. Of course, this repeat performance was the consequence of a mistake. On Tuesday in front of two million people in Washington and hundreds of millions around the world, the US Chief Justice, John Roberts, and Mr Obama tripped over each other and the result was that the words of the presidential oath were spoken in the wrong order. Both seemed nervous. Next in the oath is the phrase " ... that I will faithfully execute the office of president of the United States." But Roberts rearranged the order of the words, not saying "faithfully" until after "president of the United States." That appeared to throw Obama off. He stopped abruptly at the word "execute."

Recognizing something was off, Roberts then repeated the phrase, putting "faithfully" in the right place but without repeating "execute."

most of the times at these kind of events, the crowd gets too loud, so nine times out od ten, they had an earpeice on to hear each other. with the bad weather, the signal probably didnt go hrough correctly and slowed down the speech. same thing happened to the internet broadcasting system, everything was slowed down.

if he would've said the right sentence after the wrong sentence, then people opposing him would have been saying "oh look at how pretentious he is..not repeating the chief justice because he thinks he knows better" and by saying the wrong one people are saying "ah man, look at him taking the oath wrong." it's kind of a lose lose situation. but it's all made right now.

Source(s): meh

Well, when you've got 2 million people watching closely, a person can be forgiven for misplacing a word. Get a life.

.

Out of respect for the Chief Justice. He didn't want to embarrass the Justice. Later, in private, he had the Chief Justice do it over correctly.

• because roberts messed him up if you know the correct way to swear someone in that would not happened

Because it was the first one he heard, so it was the one that stuck in his mind. And he was probably nervous. I mean, if I was taking the Oath, I'd probably forget my own name, even if it was said to me.

he didn't answer it wrong, roberts did, roberts got it wrong and obama had it memorized right, so he said it right, robert's was the one who said it wrong, not obama

because it would be kinda rude to correct him.

because he doesn't want to promise to be faithful, hahahaha. ouch.

:)