what's the difference between corn starch and flour starch?

I have a recipe that calls for flour strach, and i can't find it in any market..

...could I use corn starch as a substitute for flour starch..?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I feel the only difference is the country of origin of the recipe and I would use the corn starch as a substitute. There is a product called corn flour and since I haven't heard of corn starch or flour starch, that is what I would use since it does the same thing and Anthony, you must be an ignorant retard for making those comments, because you obviously know nothing about cooking.

• 4 years ago

Source(s): Delicious Paleo Recipe Guide : http://PaleoCookbook.raiwi.com/?FOFk
  • Cheryl
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

RE: What is the difference between thickening with flour and corn starch? I`m trying to stay away from white flour,is corn starch the same as flour or is it healthier?

• 1 decade ago

Both are used as a thickening agent. Corn starch gives a more clear and slimy texture. Flour gives a more cloudy and pasty texture.

Both work well, but I think your recipe is just calling for flour.

Source(s): My own experience.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i wouldn't think there is a huge difference besides the fact that flour is usually made from grinding wheat and corn starch is made from corn kernels.

i would say it's ok to substitute one for the other.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

think of it like the difference between corn tortillas and flour tortillas. corn is harder and when u bake with it it makes things flat and firm. when you cook with flour starch, it tends to puff up and soften. u probably could use it as a replacement since they don't "really" make a difference, ive never tried.

Source(s): personal cooking experience.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'll have to agree with freckle about the country recipe origin.. i don't think i've seen flour starch in the US.. hmm..are you truing to make a cake or something...

ohh and i have to also agree with freckle about anthonys stupidness.. and hey other dude, before you play smart on other, try learning how to spell FLOWER dude.!.

• 1 decade ago

corn starch is made from corn and flour is flour are u a retard no offence...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

one has the word corn in it and one has flower

are you on drugs

• 1 decade ago

looll.. ouch you guys are mean to that dude...haha..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.