Should i keep big dogs away from little dogs ?

Example :

should i keep a yorkie away from a Burmese mountain dog yes or no ?

Favorite Answer

You are not being very specific. But I will try to help anyway.

First question. Does the Bernese want to play or act aggressively toward the yorkie. If it is aggressive, Keep the yorkie away.

If it wants to play? Is it gentle play? Does the bernese lay down and play with the yorkie gently, or does it try to paw the yorkie and pick it up. or get it to run with it.

If it is gentle play, It can be ok. Monitor them closely to make sure it doesn't get out of hand.

If it is a little rougher, keep the bernese on a leash and laying down to play. Instruct it to be gentle. Some dogs will start to be gentle, some dogs will still get too excited. If the Bernese cannot control its play, and be gentle, then no.

Some large dogs are very gentle with little dogs, Some think that they are squeaky toys, and some think they are prey. You need to determine the safety.

Always remember, that your yorkie is very fragile and can be injured or killed by accident in play, just as much as if it were by aggression.

First of all, to the people talking about leash laws... not everywhere has leash laws. And in many areas that do, they're often not enforced when the dogs running loose are friendly. And why should they be? And no, just because on aggressive dog needs to be locked up doesn't mean all good dogs need to be. Anyway... a few options. If you call the police, they honestly probably won't bother with the leash law bit, and if they do, it will be a warning... and they'll certainly never come back to check. However, they WILL take the aggressive dog, if he's posing a threat to children. Also, I don't see why you didn't call when your dog was killed... that's just irresponsible on your part. And when your daughter was confronted? You need to watch out for yours, which it seems you're doing a horrible job of. Animal Control might gather all of the dogs... the police won't. However, if none of your neighbors like these people/their dog, then conspire together... get everyone to gather up their dogs and put them inside, then call Animal Control. That way the aggressive dog is the only one out. If those people try to claim otherwise, you can all play naive ("no, my dog stays inside... I don't let him just run around. I don't know what they're talking about"). You can also push for a court order prohibiting them from owning a dog again (usually for a period of a few years)... if they ever do, you can have them and the dog picked up (just the fact that they have a new dog would be incrimination). The other option is to just pick the dog up yourself and bring him to a shelter. Do it without your neighbors seeing. End of story. Regardless, you need to something, and if another dog or a child is hurt by this dog, then you're to blame.

do big dogs keep owls away from little dogs? When I let my wifes Shihzus out I feel like they are only surviving an Owl attack because of the fact that my boxer is with them... We live on a lake in the woods. I let them out un supervised at night all the time. I just saw an owl tonight and I know it saw them.

depends on the dogs my cousin had two yorkies that were best friends with her two boxers and a border collie mix...just keep an eye on them to make sure the bermese mountain dog doesn't get too rough

• ?

It depends on if they get along. My larger dog thinks small dogs are toys and her will pick them up in his mouth not. It is actually very funny because the little dog always looks so confused after he is put down.

yes, big 100 pound dogs have A LOT more strength then a small 7 pound one. one of my friends have their skin tron off their chin by their little Shi ztu. imagine what a burmese mt. dog could do to that little thing.

• ?

In what situation? At the dog park or a living situation?

Depends on the dogs... are they used to dogs off the opposite size? What gender are they? Have they been fixed? etc, etc

There is no reason to keep them seperated based on size alone.

If there not aggresive towards each other then it should be fine to keep them together.