Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesBoston · 1 decade ago

What foods are the city of Boston known for?

New York has Manhatten Chowder and style pizza, Chicago has there style pizza and the Italian Beef. What does Boston have for foods the city is known for?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Hank
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

As for the above Answerers sure somehow ordinary baked beans also became known as Boston Baked Beans but it is not a Boston recipe.

And Boston lettuce did not originate there, I believe it is Californian named. And there are items sold elsewhere in the USA with a Boston appellation, such as Boston butt roast, unknown in Boston. And of course there is the Boston Pizza chain - that has no outlets anywhere

in New England - whose menu is actually similar to California Pizza Kitchen, but a lot of folks who dine there, especially at its Canadian restaurants, think the pizzas are somehow Bostonian.

Generally speaking the Boston take on New England clam (and fish) chowder is a bit thicker than what is commonly made in Maine or Cape Cod. But in most of the USA - indeed the world - the terms "Boston Chowder" and "New England Chowder" are interchangable.

I would suggest that the most unique Boston recipe would be Baked Boston Schrod, which should be a tail or filet section of only juvenile

codfish, commonly with a buttered breadcrumb and cheddar topping.

Parker House Rolls were also invented in Boston.

PS to FreeB: "New York" pizza also does not exist. It is just typical American-style Neapolitan Pizza; somehow in much of the USA it got the "New York" moniker, much as Sicilain-style Pizza somehow

became known as "Chicago". Most Italians feel that the appropriation

of the names is just nother example of American self-centeredness and arrogance.

• brickhouse6 years agoReport

boo on you. Italian pizza is very different than NY pizza (I've eaten it in both places). and "New York Pizza" does exist because it was invented in Manhatten in the early 1900's.

Also I think Italians are self-centered and arrogant for apropriation of the tomato which was brough over to Italy from Amarica in the 1600's!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Boston Famous Food

• gosman
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Famous Boston Food

• Ted
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Boston lettuce, Boston Cream Pie and Boston Baked Beans.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Boston Baked Beans

New England Clam Chowder

They have great Italian food in the north end of boston

they have really good seafood

• 1 decade ago

Boston is known for Chowder or as we call it chowda We call it new england clam chowder.

We are known for Italian food as well as pizza.

Boston Baked Beans

Seafood and if you want good seafood try Legal Seafood it is a great resteraunt.

Also we have good Chinese food here in Boston. I have lived here in Boston all my life and when I went to school in CT the chinese food there was horrible.

You can get Clam Chowda almost anywhere in Boston and some places even serve it in a bread bowl.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Boston Baked Beans , of course !

• 1 decade ago

Baked beans, Prince Spaghetti and New England Clam Chowder.

• 6 years ago

Brown Bread

• 1 decade ago

baked beans

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.