What is a great gift to give to an exchange student's host family?

My son will be going to Germany and Denmark in March of this year as an exchange student. We have been asked (and I am happy to) send a gift for the host family. This is my first experience with the exchange student program and I am clueless on what to send. His host family will be German. Any ideas? Thank you so much!

Favorite Answer

Maybe an inexpensive digital camera and a photo album. Start the album with some of your family pictures and photos of your home and town/city. This will help them to get a better idea of where and what your family traditions are about. It is a way for you and the rest of your family to be real people not just someone on the phone or in letters! Buy an exact album for you and as they send you photos you can place them in the album for a keepsake memory for your son.The host family will seem more real to you as well!

I would give them a book on Irish culture and Irish Geography details.

A large cocktail table book with lots of pictures like Time Life's book "A Day in the Life of America" or one of your state (or city, if you live in a large one). It truly plays along with the theme of exchange. I'd inscribe it with a note of thanks and the date.