How can Swedish 'är' and 'er' be pronounced?

Now I normally regard Swedish to be an easy language (compared to English, German, Dutch etc), but I have one thing that doesn't work well in my brain - the pronunciation of '-er' and '-är'. The text book answer is that they are pronounced as the 'a' in 'cat' is pronounced (æ... show more Now I normally regard Swedish to be an easy language (compared to English, German, Dutch etc), but I have one thing that doesn't work well in my brain - the pronunciation of '-er' and '-är'.

The text book answer is that they are pronounced as the 'a' in 'cat' is pronounced (æ sound). However, I would have also thought that it would be acceptable (if not common) for these letter combinations to be pronounced as in 'air' in British English (therefore no 'r' sound at the end) or as the german 'er', or be pronounced as an 'e' followed by a trilled 'r' like in Norwegian. In fact, I would have even expected that the -er and -är combinations could be pronounced as schwas (as a British speaker might do to the -er in 'speaker').

So, to all Swedes/Swedish speakers out there, how can '-er' and '-är' be pronounced? And what ways are more common?

Tack så mycket!