Astronomy Question, Sunrise Sunset?

Ok. Take the extremes. In summer solstice the suns path lies directly on the Equator. I live in say Quito, Equador, im checking out the surf and the sunset at the end of the day(summer solstice); it will appear to drop basically perpendicular to the horizon. Agreed? Ok. So now its dead winter (solstice), im... show more Ok. Take the extremes. In summer solstice the suns path lies directly on the Equator. I live in say Quito, Equador, im checking out the surf and the sunset at the end of the day(summer solstice); it will appear to drop basically perpendicular to the horizon. Agreed?

Ok. So now its dead winter (solstice), im drunk, watching the sunset in Equador. Given that in winter the suns path is off-centered from the Equator; does the sun drop below the horizon at an angle that is not perpendicular like in summer? If so, we all know the fastest/shortest way to reach a line(the horizon) from a given point is to travel perpendicular to that horizon. SOO, does the sun set slightly slower in winter than in summer??? Say the sunset is from the point at which the sun first "touches" the horizon and is finished when the sun finally disappears. Give me answers all you astronomy nerds! NOW! haha and it better be right.
Oh. And what about in California, say San Diego; the Tropic of Cancer. Would it make a difference if it wasn't on the equator or would the answer still be the same?