Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 decade ago

baby bottles and bpa?

Is a plastic baby bottles labled BPA free ok to use?

and what the difference between plastic and glass what is better like why are alot of moms wanting the glass ones?

Favorite Answer

BPA is a chemical they use in plastic.When they use this BPA in baby bottles it can be harmful if you microwave the bottles or if the plastic is scratched and damaged after a lot of use. BPA free is a good thing. Go ahead and use them! The reason a lot of Mom's are now looking into getting Glass bottles is because they do not have BPA in them and are microwaveable etc.

It's a non-problem if you don't heat the bottle. If you want to heat your formula, put it into a measuring cup, heat in microwave and then pour into the bottle. Hand wash your bottles with a bottle brush instead of using the dishwasher, although the temperature is usually not over 145 F. BPA breaks down at temperatures over 170, which potentially can happen in a microwave. Keep in mind that baby food in clear plastic containers also should not be heated in a microwave for the same reason. If the plastic is clear, it contains BPA. BTW, the BPA issue has been going on for more than 12 years. So far, tests have not shown that BPA leaks into milk unless the plastic is old or if it is heated above 175 degrees.

depending on who you ask, any baby bottle is ok to use. I use BPA free plastic bottles and if you don't want to risk any accidental bpa exposure, then yes a plastic baby bottle labled BPA free would be ok. The difference between plastic and glass bottles are just that, one is plastic and one is glass. Some moms just prefer not to use plastic. Some moms like the heft of a glass bottle and some dislike it. Glass is supposed to retain heat and cold better than plastic. it's just your preference.

yes plastic labeled as BPA Free is okay to use. BPA gives the plastic it's clear appearance. I chose glass because it's more sanitary in my opinion. Also I don't want any new revelation about other things in plastic being harmful so I just play it safe and use glass.

Yes bottles that say that there are bpa free are fine to use. I personally don't like the glass bottles because there are heavy, they slide when i am trying to hold the bottle while multi tasking, and what if it some how fell on your baby its heavy and would hurt.

BPA ones should be BPA free.

Glass is inert and doesn't leech anything, with plastic there is always the risks of leeching something even if its not BPA.

sucks! I use AVENT and bottles are clear and I do use microwave to sterilize them... I am a terrible mother after I read all these comments!

yes, for god's sake, they are safe; idk why ppl want the glass ones