Car loan for a non-citizen?

I have a loan on a car. I am a legal resident in the US with the legal right to work, but I don't have a green-card yet. My case is in process. So when I went to the bank to get my vehicle refinanced, I submitted my Social Security Card and Work Authorization, but they denied my request explaining that without... show more I have a loan on a car. I am a legal resident in the US with the legal right to work, but I don't have a green-card yet. My case is in process. So when I went to the bank to get my vehicle refinanced, I submitted my Social Security Card and Work Authorization, but they denied my request explaining that without the green-card, they won't process my application, when other bank didn't even ask for it. But I am a legal resident with a full right to work. It looks like you don't need to have green-card to open a bank account and pay taxes, but you do need one to refinance your car. It doesn't make sense. Can anybody explain to me, whether their decision was lawful or not, based on laws or regulations, or should I view it as a discrimination based on my legal status in the US. Thank you for your help.
5 answers 5