How often should my 3 month old nurse?

my 3 month old daughter has just started nursing only every 5 hours. Is this ok? She still has good wet and poopy diapers and she's eating for 20-25 minutes at a time

• Pippin
    Favorite Answer

If she's happy and healthy and gaining, then it's right for her.

But do keep an eye on your supply. If you find it starting to drop, you may want to encourage slightly more frequent feeds. (Or she may respond to the drop by nursing more often of her own accord.)

I feed my 3 month old when he is hungry which is usually 3-4 hrs during the day and twice at night. As long as her weight is not a concern you need not worry, that's what our pediatrician told us.

The thing to watch for is the amount she is peeing so if that has stayed the same then she's fine. Babies are programmed to eat when they're hungry and stop when they're full so they are smarter than we are in terms of knowing if they are eating enough! :)

• she should nurse every 2 to 3 hours. but she may be getting full off of her feedings you on the other hand may want to pump so your milk wont dry

Every child is different! She is probably getting more than enough food.