If relinquishing your child is the greatest act of love, then aren't "birth mothers" the REAL mothers?

After all, nothing the adoptive mother could do would ever compare to the greatest act of love (being given away to others).
Update: For those who may not know this... I have always contended that I have TWO REAL mothers.

But I often see people who dismiss the first mother as a REAL mother, and those same people often say that relinquishing the child is an act of love. Those claims seem incompatible to me.
Update 2: I know, I know... nothing but a pot-stirrer... ;) Seriously, though... I asked the question because language is important. When we speak in superlatives ("greatest act of love" or "your mother is the one that is always there") we set mothers up to fail (all mothers, whether bio or adoptive). show more I know, I know... nothing but a pot-stirrer... ;)

Seriously, though... I asked the question because language is important. When we speak in superlatives ("greatest act of love" or "your mother is the one that is always there") we set mothers up to fail (all mothers, whether bio or adoptive).