Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Controlling mind!...Is it possible to ‘win over’/ keep away from ‘natural, hormonal temptations!?’?

Hi, I’m very sincere in asking this question – I’m 45yrs.old, male, single….just a normal man only…no abnormalities…I’m not giving these details just for fun but to give clarity to my question…coming to the point, since my teenage, I thought of controlling ‘sexual thoughts’… I always tries to suppress those thoughts but in vain...I couldn’t win over ‘controlling these thoughts’ as I desired and always failed to do so…whenever I tried to control these thoughts, quite opposite thing happens….thus wastes lot of time…in one sentence, these are stumbling blocks in my life and to my progress…these thoughts haunt me each and every time, whenever I see opposite sex….I don’t know whether I’m suffering from any syndrome to this effect or born with excess ‘cancer like thoughts’ in this aspect….whatever is the thing, the essence of my question is ‘can any one truly controlled these thoughts and came out as winner’ in the long run?....means ‘can we really control our mind with self discipline and make our mind listens to our ‘self order’ only but not to ‘hormonal order’?...can’t we really do what we wish to do instead of succumbing to these hormonal temptations or natural things?.....my question is – can’t we control these natural thoughts?...I know these are natural and comes in its natural way…but my point here is about control of mind….can’t we control these natural thoughts and can’t we order our mind to go as per our order instead of hormonal order/natural drive ways?....Are there any methods to calm down our mind and to have a control on that and to make it act like our slave!…in most cases, we are slaves to mind but not masters…I truly want to become ‘master’, not ‘slave’ and want to have full control on what I intend to do as per my wish & will but not to whims and fancies of mind…I want my mind listens and acts to my order only but not to external or internal temptations…‘can anybody helps me ‘how to get this state of control on our mind’….hope I made myself clear?!...please help me, if you can!

Favorite Answer

Jesus told you to "deny yourself and follow me".You can defeat this.Pray when you start having these thoughts.If you call on the Lord with all of your heart the devil will flee from you.Satan wants you to feel hopeless and weak.Fight,your soul depends on it.May peace be with you,my friend

Source(s): King James Bible/Church of Christ

You sound like me, when I was a Christian.

When I look back, WHEW! What self-imposed misery!

To wit:

I struggled and struggled to not look at girls in a lustful way - I felt like I had a lust addiction - excess hormones, etc...

I prayed, fasted, controlled my thoughts, etc, etc, etc...

But while in college (studying to become a Christian Apologist) I found out that the Jesus of the bible never existed, and that the Bible Manuscript Tradition was full of corruption and forgery.

So, when I finally allowed myself (after all, all my college friends did it) to actually and willingly look at pornography, I was relieved (pun intended) when I found out that after a little indulgence and after I made it so that I could look at pornography whenever the heck I wanted to -

I found out that after a short while, I just lost interest.!!!

WHAT A SHOCK!

The "LUST" problem I had literally ceased when I no longer saw it as a problem or something BAD!!!

The only time ever "battled" lust was when I was a Christian.

When I was freed of that, NATURE showed the true PATH TO DELIVERANCE.

My friend, your answer, believe it or not, is to look at pornography - make it easily accessible and to have several one night stands.

Eventually, it won't be an issue.

AND you'll become NORMAL!

It is a well documented fact that suppressing your natural sexual instinct is NOT healthy. Physically or Mentally. You should at least choke one off every once and a while. This has been proven to be quite healthy and you won't be so obsessed with it any more. You may also want to pick up a book on Congnative Behavioral Therapy. This may help your situation also.

Well, there are some things you have to take into consideration. Do you leave drugs around a drug addict? 1st, i would advise you to get rid of any fresh stuff you have hidden at home eg: explicit films, swimsuit mags, or even movies containing women who are overly exposed. One of my guy friends stopped watching music videos and movies over pg-13 for a while as well since they show a lot of flesh.2nd, consider the people you hang around. If you are surrounded by people who are constantly lusting and pointing it out to you, it is only going to make it worse. Also if you go to places where there are women showing a lot of skin it doesn't help cause it brings attention to their goodies. 3rd, when you look at a women try to focus on her face and not look down. If you can't just look away until you are strong enough to look and not have your mind wander. Believe me it will happen. 4th, have a list of things your interested in to think about to distract you when you see an object of infatuation or carry a book handy. There was 1 technique I used for a while that kinda helped though it's really dorky. When a bad thought comes into your mind treat it as a delivery package. When the postman knocks on your door with the thought just say no thanks that package isn't for me. It was sent to the wrong address(or head). 5th, realize it is only natural and no one is perfect it will happen from time to time but don't give up you will get better at it. Almost everyone struggles with this. It is just no one talks about it. 6th, read the bible everyday. It help to transform your mind and give you something to ponder during the day so that maybe your eyes won't be wandering around rooms so much. 7th, try to get to know some more conservative people of both genders. It seems to me you are a gentlemen at heart but it is hard to be in this world. 8th and most importantly, there are things in this world that do not want you to control yourself and want you to fail. That taken into consideration situations are going to arise the more you try. People will even throw themselves at you for no apparent reason. The person you wanted the most will suddenly be interested in you. Remember your goal, find a way to excuse yourself before the situations get out of hand and hitch your butt out of there. 9th pray your little heart out. pray until your mind is unclouded. If you don't know what to pray pray the Our Father. It's in Matthew 6:9-13. Everything I am telling you I learned from experience. It is really hard to put a reign on your mind and on your hormones especially. Just remember, it is your body, it is your mind, and they are not going to make you do anything you don't want to do unless you allow them to. You will be the boss of yourself, it just takes a little effort. You can email me if anything and I'll be here for moral support. p.s. what that guy said up there about Jesus not being real is bogus and he is just another one of those things trying to keep you from your goal.

Source(s): Life

Sure you can.

The Bible goes into great detail about it in Romans 7.

Don't fight the flesh because it will win.

We starve the flesh and feed the spirit until the spirit is stronger then the flesh.

That's why you hear us saying that people are dead even thought they are alive. We mean spiritually dead. Many people are so dead because of feeding the flesh that they can't even see GOD anymore.

The cancer is the cult teachings that have made you to believe that your instinctual desires to procreate are evil.

Seriously. There is nothing wrong with seeing a woman's shapely bahtocks, legs, smile, etc. and desiring her. Just don't be creepy about it.

Thought crime. Big Brother is watching you. Welcome to the dictatorship of theism.

In the real world, thoughts are harmless, everyone has them, we all think bizarre and sometimes scary things all the time. Sexual lust is perfectly natural, in fact if you didn't have it then you'd be abnormal.

• M.

You have too many questions and too long your story. It is almost impossible to overpower your natural "adult" reproductive programming. Something far greater and much stronger than you is responsible for your meager existence.

EDIT:

...and what "grimsera..." below me said,

You should totally e-mail her - then get her address and visit.

She'll be just the therapy you need.

PLUS:

I challenge anyone who believes in the actual existence of Jesus to Email me.

I can prove, along with hundreds of my colleagues (to whom I can also direct you) that he never existed at all.

Thoughts can be limited but not 'controlled'. God provides us with ways to get through sexual drives without sinning.