Should I report tax fraud?

Okay so recently it has come to my attention that my father has been claiming my sister on his taxes ever since he and my mother separated. He was also claiming me but stopped after I turned 18..im 22 now. They have been separated for almost 10yrs and he hasn't paid a dime of child support. My mother has been diagnosed with severe mental illness so she cannot work. Currently she is receiving assistance and has been for sometime. This makes the situation worse because from what I've just discovered he is also claiming my mother on his taxes since she is a dependent. Im guessing that would mean that he's claiming head of house hold. He doesn't live with us but with another woman in another part of the state. Im scared to report him because I don't want to get my mother in trouble for providing him with the information. However I do have documents stating that she is mentally ill....will this somehow work in her benefit? Also my father owes the IRS and has been using the money he is getting from us to pay them off. As I said before this has been going on for years. Would I be wrong for reporting him? Would I be putting my mother at risk? She's already sick and I don't want to put more stress on her.

Favorite Answer

Hi!

Yes, you probably should report this.

You can call 1-800-829-1040 to reach the IRS.

Hope this helps.

Virginia Cunning, Enrolled Agent, Master Tax Advisor

H & R Block

**This advice was prepared based on our understanding of the tax law in effect at the time it was written as it applies to the facts that you provided.

Click on my profile to read more.

Your mother would neither benefit nor be in trouble. Your father's returns would be internally audited and he would likely receive a notice that he must either provide documentation to support his claim or pay back the money.

added: You or your mother would probably never receive any sort of notification because it is not your return that is in question.

added: Don't bother calling (unless you like to hold for an hour and get nowhere). They cannot do anything without a written complaint. File form 3949-A with as much information as you can provide. You can attach any extra notes you want.

If your parents are still married they can file a joint return. He's not claiming her as a dependent on a joint return. This is perfectly legal even if he's living with someone else.

How do you know that he's claiming your sister? Did she try to e-file and her return was rejected because her SSN was used on another tax return? If so, she needs to file a paper return by mail and claim her exemption if he's not entitled to do so. The IRS will investigate the matter automatically and will award the exemption according to the law and the evidence presented by your sister and your father.

There's nothing for you to report as far as "fraud" is concerned. Unless you have EVIDENCE of fraud the IRS won't act on your report. The issue with your sister is handled automatically by the IRS and isn't any of your concern.

Who was supporting the children? Your mother cannot be claimed as a dependent. He is probably filing married jointly and receiving the exemption for everyone. The IRS wouldnt question it if he files with his wife and takes his children for an exemption. Whoever is supporting your sister should take the exemption. When there is a duplicate ssn the IRS will investigate and you dont have to turn anyone in.

• Judy

But either way, if he has some kind of court order that he could claim you and your sister, or if your mom gave him written permission, then he legally could. Not paying child support doesn't affect that.

If your parents are still legally married but just living separately, it's posssible that your dad could file as married filing separately and claim an exemption for your mom.

So depending on circumstances, there might be no fraud and nothing to report. But if he is not entitled to claim any of you and he is, then yes you could report him to the IRS. It wouldn't benefit your mom, but wouldn't hurt her either.

• Master

You should probably turn your father in for tax fraud and you mother in for welfare fraud.

About tax fraud can be read in http://discoblog.biz/search.php?q=tax

if you hate your father go ahead, but remember you will be affecting everyone