Should I report tax fraud?

Okay so recently it has come to my attention that my father has been claiming my sister on his taxes ever since he and my mother separated. He was also claiming me but stopped after I turned 18..im 22 now. They have been separated for almost 10yrs and he hasn't paid a dime of child support. My mother has been... show more Okay so recently it has come to my attention that my father has been claiming my sister on his taxes ever since he and my mother separated. He was also claiming me but stopped after I turned 18..im 22 now. They have been separated for almost 10yrs and he hasn't paid a dime of child support. My mother has been diagnosed with severe mental illness so she cannot work. Currently she is receiving assistance and has been for sometime. This makes the situation worse because from what I've just discovered he is also claiming my mother on his taxes since she is a dependent. Im guessing that would mean that he's claiming head of house hold. He doesn't live with us but with another woman in another part of the state. Im scared to report him because I don't want to get my mother in trouble for providing him with the information. However I do have documents stating that she is mentally ill....will this somehow work in her benefit? Also my father owes the IRS and has been using the money he is getting from us to pay them off. As I said before this has been going on for years. Would I be wrong for reporting him? Would I be putting my mother at risk? She's already sick and I don't want to put more stress on her.
8 answers 8