lx5b
lx5b asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

USAA auto insurance rates?

sorry to ask this in military but i figure yall will know best. i've noticed that since we've had usaa auto they have consistently gone up when our policy renews every 6 months. it's around 20-50 dollars every time. we have not had any tickets or accidents. when i call customer service they assure me it's nothing we've done and that everyone's rates are going up. i find this hard to believe. anyone else having this issue?

Favorite Answer

I know that with USAA there can be state requirements that will not be listed on your monthly statement, but on your declarations package. For example, we live in Florida and if you have USAA you have to have hurricane coverage, and it does go up yearly. Look over your documents. Another thing we called USAA once and they weren't giving us our "age" discount. We were still being charged at the 19 year old rate, once we said something that helped out. (we are 24) Also double check to see that all your security features are listed for you car, we had to call about our car having an alarm system, and daytime running lights (both discounts).

You should be getting a detailed description of what your paying for and by seeing that you should be able to figure out what has gone up. I have State Farm and they send me a monthly policy description so I know exactly what I am paying for. I have never heard of insurance rates going up for no reason. If you got a new car that could why, if the car that is insured is on the top list of stolen vehicles that could be why as well, then of course there are accidents and tickets ect. So if the customer service people wont tell you why your paying more than you were before it would be best to get a detailed outline of your policy so you can be sure they have the right information and you are getting billed for the correct coverage. I have dealt with enough insurance people to know they screw that kind of stuff up often.

• Traci

I have USAA and one payment for every cycle I get the same thing. Here's what happens, keep in mind I'm using round and random numbers to make the math easier. They have insurance cycles of 6 months, so let's say your insurance for every 6 months is $650. Now, they may decide to only charge you a minimum payment of $100 a month, this means you still have $50 at the end of the 6 months to pay. Now, don't ask me why they don't just divide the $50 between the 6 months, I don't get it either. But you have a certain amount you have to pay every 6 months, with the option of paying a fraction of that amount every month. At the end you make that last payment, and whatever is left over, then your insurance renews for another 6 months and it starts over.

• NWIP

It can happen with any insurance company but I have heard a lot of complaints about it more recently, rates being a lot more than usual. It is best to shop around at places like Geico, State farm and make sure you are getting the best rate available.

For the comment about a discount at 19, it isn't standard, it is actually 25 for men in which the insurance rate will drop. It is with every company.

Wow, We have had USAA for insurance for almost 5 years now and the only time they went up was 2 years ago when we added Renters Insurance to it and then when we added another car. Otherwise, it hasn't gone up at all for us.

I love USAA. And we are about ready to switch over our main bank account to them also. I would try calling them again and talking maybe to a manager and see what is going on.

i dont have USAA but mine have went up for the last 2 years also. so has my homeowners insurance. when i called and as they said it was due to the fact that supplies to rebuild a home have went up and that they needed to raise my premium to cover the increase in building supplies. WHAT HORSE *HIT. my autos are the same way,,,both cars are over 9 years old,,,,paid OFF, and no tickets,,,we are getting older (supposed to go down when you get older). dont know why the auto insurance keeps going up either. but no you are not alone and yes many other people are having the same problem ,,,,USAA or not

You can save on your insurance by compare quotes at DEALSQUOTE.INFO-

RE USAA auto insurance rates?

We did...and we are 40. We were paying more insurance than my 21 year old daughter. We swapped over to Geico--when we called to tell them, they offered to drop our rates. I said--Nope, shouldn't have overcharged me to begin with. We were paying $1100 with USAA and we pay $560 with Geico. This was recent. We swapped over 2 months ago.

I have not noticed but just looked at the new bill I think you may be right. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I think I will shop around since I have been with them for 8+years.