Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 1 decade ago

Have you seen the U.S. Senate Minority Report on Global Warming? ?

What do you think?

U.S. Senate Minority Report Update: More Than 650 International Scientists Dissent Over Man-Made Global Warming Claims

January 14, 2009

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=...

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Some people, no matter how many experts tell them differently, will continue to believe the myth of global warming. Al Gore has made millions, if not billions, propagating this lie. Someday "Big Oil" is going to get tired of being a punching bag and start punching back.

• vivier
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

till now examining: It comes from Senator Inhofe. So it is possibly going to be rubbish. After examining: It got here from Senator Inhofe. it is rubbish. there are hundreds of scientists around the international. Inhofe's learn controlled to scrape up 4 hundred (one hundred of that have been a cop out, and different that have been engineers and, apparently, retired architects). Wow. no longer in common terms that, yet there are approximately 20,000 climate scientists interior the international, possibly twelve are named in Inhofe's learn. magnificent? no longer plenty. ---------------- Edit: i did no longer say there have been hundreds of thousands of scientists who prevalent the concept (there are, yet i did no longer say it). I pronounced that, of the few hundreds of thousands scientists interior the international, the staffers that Inhofe employs to surf the internet searching for international warming skeptics with some modicum of scientific credibility have been waiting to return up with 4 hundred. And, as i've got presently discovered, even that selection is plenty too beneficiant. it seems Inhofe isn't enjoying trouble-free. a great variety of names on the checklist are repeated various situations over. no longer in common terms that, yet of the genuine names, no longer all are scientists, and not all are skeptics. whilst i replaced into surfing interior the direction of the checklist temporarily, I discovered an get right of entry to who replaced into, have self assurance it or no longer, a retired architect. The Cdesing proponentists have controlled to scrape at the same time lists of over seven hundred "scientists" who help identity, truthfully Inhofe can do extra appropriate than this. relatively, i think he's doing amazingly nicely. he's making an attempt to misinform GW skeptics, and he's succeeding in that admirably.

• On Dec 10, 2008, a report was released by the U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works Minority members, under the leadership of the Senate's most vocal global warming skeptic Jim Inhofe. The timing of the report coincided with the UN global warming conference in Poznan, Poland. It claims to summarize scientific dissent from the IPCC. Many of the claims about the numbers of individuals listed in the report, whether they are actually scientists, and whether they support the positions attributed to them, have been disputed.

Source(s): wiki
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Wow - 650, eh? That's quite a drop from the 32,000 number that was making the rounds in the right-wing blogosphere a while back.

Now, popular sure doesn't mean right, but in formulating a view on the issue, getting a sense of expert (in contrast to popular) opinion is useful in assessing the reality of a topic, though not sufficient by itself to confirm or deny anything. There's never been a comprehensive survey done, but it's generally accepted that somewhere between .5%-1% of the world's population are scientists, which means there are roughly 30-60 million scientists in the world. The Census Bureau lists about 3.5 million self-identified scientists in the US alone.

Thus, the 650 deniers listed comprise approximately 1.083 x 10^-5 to 2.167 x 10^-5, or .00001% to .00002% of the overall scientific community. Sorry, but those aren't terribly convincing numbers. Also, keep in mind that the 650 or so listed in the Senate GOP's report have expressed skepticism of the consensus view, not necessarily AGW itself. Additionally, the GOP's report does not note how many of that number include petroleum geologists, who have an obvious incentive towards denial. Indeed, of all the major scientific associations in the world, only the American Association of Petroleum Geologists has affirmatively refused to endorse the consensus on climate change; nearly all others have issued statements supporting the consensus.

That said, a better way to gauge current scientific opinion on the issue is to review recently-published scientific papers on the topic. Just the most recent IPCC report cites more than 4,500 papers which support the consensus view. The Senate minority's report cites "more than 150" papers which express any doubt over the consensus.

In 2007, geologist and historian of science Naomi Oreskes took a sample of 928 randomly-selected papers on the topic, and 0, none, nada either implicitly or explicitly disagreed with the consensus view.

Finally, the most recent research done on the supposed scientific debate was a poll by University of Chicago earth scientists Peter Doran and Maggie Kendall Zimmerman, which found that 97.4% of those currently active in climate research supported the statement "human activity is a significant factor in changing mean global temperatures;" most of the rest refused to respond to that question. Thus, they were left to conclude that:

"It seems that the debate on the authenticity of global warming and the role played by human activity is largely nonexistent among those who understand the nuances and scientific basis of long-term climate processes."

In other words, Mitch McConnell is full of crap - big surprise that is...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The report supposedly " features the skeptical voices of over 650 prominent international scientists".

Though many of the people the report "featured" feel that their views were misrepresented in the report. See the list of people, with links, in this blog post.

http://greenfyre.wordpress.com/2008/12/14/inhofes-...

• 1 decade ago

Wow! Senator's Inhofe's list of 650 (recently updated from 400) deniers! That's incredible evidence that proves that global warming is a hoax!!!) (Not.)

All that Inhofe's multiple lists prove is that nowadays, there's only a handful of scientists who still dispute the fact that anthropogenic climate change is occurring. My favorite person on Inhofe's list is Chris Allen, weather director at WBKO, the ABC affiliate for south-central Kentucky. On his blog, Mr. Allen says this about global warming, and I quote:

“My biggest argument against putting the primary blame on humans for climate change is that it completely takes God out of the picture. It must have slipped these people's minds that God created the heavens and the earth and has control over what's going on. (Dear Lord Jesus...did I just open a new pandora's box?) Yeah, I said it. Do you honestly believe God would allow humans to destroy the earth He created? Of course, if you don't believe in God and creationism then I can see why you would easily buy into the whole global warming fanfare. I think in many ways that's what this movement is ultimately out to do - rid the mere mention of God in any context. What these environmentalists are actually saying is ‘we know more than God - we're bigger than God - God is just a fantasy - science is real...He isn't...listen to US! I have a huge problem with that.”[1]

These comments do cause me to wonder, "What exactly does Senator Inhofe base his public policy on?"

Very few of these scientists are climatologists, and even fewer have published anything in peer-reviewed journals on the subject of climatology within the past 10 years. Very few of these scientists are climatologists, and even fewer have published anything in peer-reviewed journals on the subject of climatology within the past 10 years.

Six hundred fifty people are a lot, but just a drop in the bucket when considering the total number of scientists with a relevant experience in climate research. For example, the AGU is one organization that has over 50, 000 members,[2] the majority of whom hold a Ph.D. in Earth Science. I'm willing to bet that not a single AGU member can be found on Inhofe's list.

• 1 decade ago

I think the report is politically motivated drivel by Republicans who are owned by the oil companies. The 650 "International Scientists" consist of very few who study climate.

edit:

Check out the link in Flavian's answer below for the details on this 650 "International Scientists" scam.

• J S
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

The one by Senator James "Fossil Fuels Gave Me $500,000!" Inhofe, from the oil state of Oklahoma?

Yeah, what of it?

Would you expect anything different from a politician protecting his financial supporters?

• ...wheewww, such high minded chattering....everyone gets paid though...scientists are really just as human as economists, or energy executives

...once upon a time even doctors were thought to be the most trustworthy, moral and steadfast in their personal convictions

...with millions of dollars to gain, big oil continues their push for dominance at all costs

...much like tobacco, traditions die hard, whining, moaing, crying mournfully, but through greater legislation we have seen the use of tobacco by minors drop significantly....(see government statistics from 2000 Healthy People Study)

...average science guys like me, have known for decades how to make car engines run on less gas, using water and diesel

...the technology was purchased by GM and promptly "shelved"

...thus avoiding the expensive cost of re-tooling their plants (all in the name of good service, giving us faster, more powerful cars) zoom zoom zoom

...so let me say simply, that trees and plants give us clean air to breath

...we have a fixed amount of water that recycles through the "water cycle"

...the Sun gives us the energy we need to support life

....any change in either of these areas will cause extinction

....whether atheist or advocate, our planet is a delicately balanced, constantly changing system, and miraculously sustains life

...if the rain forests are removed, disaster will occur

...if harmful chemicals erode the vapor barrier of ozone disaster will occur

...if O3 exists at ground level, people and plants get sick and die

...this research of mine did not costs a million dollars to regurgitate

...anyone, who says an overload of CO2 is not harmful is "paid-off" by oil companies and energy producers who use coal

...they are likely producing children who one day will tell us, in all seriousness "these authentic vegetables were grown using real sunshine....these are not the cheap immitation kind the kids back on Earth must eat"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.